Cooking two turkey breasts --- looking for suggestions

S

Smokin Okole

Hey everyone
Volleyball season is done, so I'm back from my self-imposed exile and ready to cook.

I've been asked to cook a couple of turkey boobs for Thanksgiving, but I'm lost. I did some searching through the forum, but came up empty.

Here's what I've got (it's a decent deal - someone else pays for the meat, and I just have to cook it!):
2 7lb Butterball Turkey breasts (w/ribs -- and some 14% solution for juiciness, yada yada....so from what I've read in here, I don't need to inject)

Dinner's at 2pm.

I'm trying to time this thing right and am not sure how long these things are gonna take. I've seen a few end-temperatures but they seem to vary a lot from post to post.

Also, re: brining -- how long? Every brining thing I've seen is talking about a whole turkey.

Well, thanks in advance. I knew you guys could bail me out here. Gimme some good advice and I'll reward you with some pictures on Friday!

Thanks again....:-D

well if it is enhanced then u don't need to brine or inject am i right?

Yes you already have 14% "water" added do not brine or inject or you will have a soggy turkey. I would simply rub some butter under the skin (I flavor the butter with garlic, ginger, poultry seasoning etc) and sprinkle with a rub (I do a pretty standard rub with poultry seasoning as the base for flavor) and smoke away.

Correct Ghost, they are already brined, but I still inject with marinade (Tony Cachere's)

S.O., I think 6 hours is plenty of time, but I'm not sure your cooker, or your temps. I'll go like 6 hours (start testing temps at around 4 hours or so) at around 225 in the WSM. I've wrapped in foil and thrown in a cooler when they are done too soon.

Wine & Swine said:
Yes you already have 14% "water" added do not brine or inject or you will have a soggy turkey. .

I always inject, and never have them soggy. But I also don't go "nuts" over injecting.

oh gosh....feelin like a rookie (see? it's been a long time)

i've got a 'dera

I remove mine when internal temp to 150-155*, carry over will take it to 160*. I also like the Tony C injection. I did a Jalapeno juice injected bood about a month ago. The hotness cooked out of it though. It was the Hot Times Jalapeno Turkey Breast from the book Smoke & Spice.

Bill, I guess it is what you are used to. I don't like to work with any products that have been "enhanced" whether it is premarinated meat or turkey with a solution added. So, it has been a while since I cooked a butterball. I always use organic fresh turkey breast and cook one about every other week. I brine mine and cook at 275 and they are great. My thoughts are by the time you inject you will be in the 20% range depending how much you inject, but you are cooking at a much lower temp for alonger period so you will have a higher water loss most likely.

W&S,

I'm not suggesting you experiment on Thursday, but I have also injected with sugar free maple syrup.

????

I know, it sounds crazy, but it is actually quite good. I little goes a long way. And I think the Meijer brand I have is not as high as 14%, but I understand your point.

I think the reason I started injecting was I was using a ECB for 2 years. The thermometer read "ideal", and I later found this was around 375*. Stuff came out dry as heck sometimes.

You know, maybe I'll experiment. Since temps are now under control, I'm going to go without injecting this year. Save me a trip to the store anyway.

Bill, I actually have brined breast using maple syrup (normal real syrup not sugar free) in the brine, the meat comes out a little darker but has a great flavor (I also add dried molasses and maple sugar to the rub). I always experiment as I really hate cooking the same thing twice at home (since that is all you do in a restaurant). There are so many options and with each one there is a winning outcome if you put the right pieces together (temp, brine, bird, etc).

Sounds good W&S

The reason I use the sugar free (besides because I buy it by the case for my diabetic daughter) is because I have a POS injector that can't handle the thickness of the real stuff (especially from the fridge)

Thats the one thing about the fake sugar stuff, it is runny as heck (but great for using with a POS injector). Never thought to brine with the real McCoy. Might need to add that to the list

Some artifical sweeteners have their own health problems Bill. I assume you know that so I'll drop it.

As for breasts, they usually come in pairs. So technically, W&S will be cooking 4 breasts.

i'd like to be able to start at about 8 am and finish by 1

what if i cooked this thing closer to 275?

turkey versus breast

I usually end up buying the whole turkey for less than the cost of the breast. I always smoke mine 75% done with the breast downwards so the juices from the back and thighs can keep the breast moist. Then flip for the finishing look and taste.

Back