MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
smokenpreacher
Full Fledged Farker

Default Why So Long?

I like to watch cooking shows, BBQ cooks, and have a question for the Brethren. What's up with some of these cooking times? Some of these guys are putting 7-9 pound butts in a cooker, temps around 250, and leaving them 12-15 hours, some longer.
When it's done, it's done, right? Is anything being accomplished by leaving it in the smoker an additional 8 hours? I've been smoking several years and fail to see the reasoning behind this.
smokenpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think it rare when a professional BBQ cook doesn't exaggerate the length of time they actually smoke the meat. They usually include the hold time in the cooking time. It's some form of being a martyr I suspect. Sorta like thinking you gotta suffer before you can sing the blues.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Great answer Jim...

There are legit exceptions, but be weary of what you see on TV or read online as it relates to barbecue.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I once smoked a brisket for 3 and a half years. Best brisket I ever tasted, and I've been smokin' meat the old school way ever since my great great grand pappy (who invented bbq) learnd me how to butcher a pig bare handed. There ain't no other way to do it and anyone who says otherwise is a damned liar, a cheat, and a communist.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I had a guy tell that he smoked his brisked @ 150*F for 24 hour. I just looked at him and said "OK."

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
mktippets
Found some matches.

I am a novice BBQ'r and I am trying to figure this out as well. I am trying to find the balance between cooking time, internal temp and amount of fat at the start. So far the best advice I have been given is to follow the probe test - the probe should go in and out easily when it's done. Please keep posting your thoughts and results it really helps beginners like me.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
BubbyQue
Got Wood.

I think most of it is BS. For some reason i think people have it in there heads more time =more better. You'd be surprised the difference in reaction when the folks at home say "how long did you smoke those ribs?" and I respond with "3 hours" VS "6 hours" social phenomenon if you ask me.
BubbyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I think it rare when a professional BBQ cook doesn't exaggerate the length of time they actually smoke the meat. They usually include the hold time in the cooking time. It's some form of being a martyr I suspect. Sorta like thinking you gotta suffer before you can sing the blues.
Very well put! I saw on TV a guy said that he cooked his ribs for 18 hrs. uh ok.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
rehless
Full Fledged Farker

71-South, love it. Laughed till I got tears in my eyes.
rehless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
landarc

Some folks lie, some folks cook very slow, some folks figure it makes a great story.

Do what works for you. Now, I have cooked a pork butt that took every bit of 18 hours to give in, at the time, I believed that I needed to be at 225°F to get it right, and it took that long. So be it. And it was delicious, as were many others done overnight.

Isn't anything wrong with cooking that long, if you want. It surely does one thing, that is discourage folks from doing it themselves. That is good for business.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenpreacher View Post
I like to watch cooking shows, BBQ cooks, and have a question for the Brethren. What's up with some of these cooking times? Some of these guys are putting 7-9 pound butts in a cooker, temps around 250, and leaving them 12-15 hours, some longer.
When it's done, it's done, right? Is anything being accomplished by leaving it in the smoker an additional 8 hours? I've been smoking several years and fail to see the reasoning behind this.
I tend to smoke a little hotter. I prefer Ribs & Butts at 275° to 300°.
Done a little quicker, but who is counting.
It ain't done, till it's done.
Probe it when it looks right.

BTW: Very little you hear on TV is factual...
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #12
Bludawg

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It all comes down to what you like to cook at temp wise.
If you like L&S then it's going to take a while, H&F you're done quicker.

They always exageratte on tv, that's what keeps people watching, I mean reality
There are some of us that do make longer cook times for different reasons/preferences but to each their own.
Cook it the way you like and enjoy what you do, that's what Q is all about.

71-South that was classic!!!!

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Seems whenever I cook a brisket it's a blizzard and 15° below zero

Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
smokenpreacher
Full Fledged Farker

71 south, I couldn't have said it any better. That there's funny, I don't care who you are.

I run my smoker hot and fast generally. That's where it likes to run. I will average around 275-300, and have gotten it up over 350. I use my thermometer to monitor grate temps, and I use a cheapo meat thermometer as a probe. My digital gets used for poultry.
I'm not changing the way I cook because some joker on TV said if it's not cooked 16 hours, it's not Q. It just seems like in every BBQ joint they interviewed they say they smoke butts for 16-18 hours, ribs go 10-12 hours, and brisket 24.
smokenpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote