• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Homemade catsup snafu

Dauvis

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been making my own catsup lately. Tonight, I made a double batch. I put all of the ingredients in the saucepan and as I started stirring I noticed dark flakes in the tomato paste. I checked the cans and discovered I did not use tomato paste. :doh: It was actually Italian paste with pesto.

Since I think it would be a shame to waste this concoction, I was wondering if any of the clever people here have any ideas. :help: I am leaning towards trying to turn it into either pizza sauce or pasta sauce.

Other ingredients that I used: corn syrup, sugar, vinegar, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder

Last edited:
Homemade ITALIAN Ketchup???? :p

Actually the pizza sauce is a good idea. I make my own with just that type of paste.

Did you taste it? If so, how was it?

I did. As catsup, neither my wife or myself liked it. To me, it tasted more like pasta or pizza sauce than catsup. It has a strange aftertaste that I think might be a combination of the vinegar and basil.

You can always rework the unpleasant product by working it in small amounts (20 - 25%) into your pasta sauce.

Working for a commercial food processor years ago, I can tell you that tomato and especially chocolate hides a multitude of sins. You would be surprised what faulty products get added to chocolate or fudge Ice Cream topping and even commercial bbq sauce.

It is too costly to throw the sub-quality product out, so it gets sent to the re-work room for use incorporating into other products.

quiad-vacation.jpg

Real Tomato Ketchup, Eddie? Nothin' but the best! :D

I did. As catsup, neither my wife or myself liked it. To me, it tasted more like pasta or pizza sauce than catsup. It has a strange aftertaste that I think might be a combination of the vinegar and basil.

With the vinegar taste, you might be half way to making your own BBQ Sauce.

With the vinegar taste, you might be half way to making your own BBQ Sauce.

I'll have to try it today as the recipe doesn't get it full flavor for a couple of days. I think/hope that it might have more of a basil/onion flavor today.

Quick followup

Homemade ITALIAN Ketchup???? :p

Actually the pizza sauce is a good idea. I make my own with just that type of paste.

I finally got around to checking it this weekend and this is what it became after it reached it true flavor. It tastes like catsup but it has an extra basil flavor to it.

Back