Maple Butter Side Ribs Trigg Style

Oldhoss

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got me some of this:

e9u2hf.jpg

Had to try it in a recipie so I figured I'd substitute it for the parkay and honey in the foil stage of Trigg ribs. So I got a couple racks of side ribs made a rub with - turbanado sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, roasted cumin, garlic powder, oinion powder, passilla chili powder, chipolte/mango powder and roasted garlic/habanero powder. Apllied light olive oil with a brush, rubbed and cellophaned in the fridge for an hour or so:

i40ro9.jpg

Onto the pit with a base of hickory coals from burnt down splits. I added Royal Oak lit and unlit and used hickory chunks and a little cherry as well:

2llzq1i.jpg

After almost 3 hours in the 260-290 range:

23lyyom.jpg

The maple butter spread on the foil. This stuff is very sweet and mapley...if that is a word....I have maple syrup from the fella who makes this maple butter but decided not to use it as well due to the high sweetness:

2uswrpu.jpg

Some brown sugar and Tiger Sauce added:

141qsl4.jpg

Ribs side down then tightly foiled and into the pit. I did this with one rack. With the other I did the standard parkay, honey, brown sugar, Tiger Sauce blend. I know some say Trigg does not use Tiger Sauce but having tried it both ways and with different hot sauces......I use this way now.

After about 1.5 hrs the ribs in the foil indicated to me that they were about done so I pulled them, coated in bbq sauce (in this case Irresistable Maple Chipolte) and returned to the pit. They cooked for an additional 20-30 minutes and I sauced them again before pulling:

9q8qxw.jpg

These ribs were pull of the bone and moist. This is the 4th cook with this pit and next time I will up the chunk level. Smoke ring could have been more pronounced and while smoky tasting also could have been more for my liking:

35mf7z4.jpg

oi924z.jpg

I have taken to calling this new pit Ugly Betty. I am thinking that Ugly Betty may well be some ugly but MAN she is shaping up to be my best rib cooker!!! My wife even agrees and she does not eat bbq ribs as a general rule....or pork for that matter.

Differences in taste between the maple butter ribs and the parkay/honey ribs - the maple ribs were creamier and overall not as sweet. Next time I will add some dark maple syrup to supplement the maple butter. The standard ribs with honey and parkay were great as always.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great cook. Another way to add maple flavor to ribs is maple sugar. It works great as a rub ingredient.

Back