MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
bfraze99
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Brandon

Just picked up a bag of cowboy at ACE today for a bbq before the -20 in the northwoods of Wisconsin tomorrow.... I have used Both RO and CB and often had crappy bags of coal... But today the CB was awsome big chunks and clean!!

Proabbly best bag i got in 2 years....

I started buring my own wood down to make some coal.. then you know its truely good wood..... so this is the first bag i have got in 6 - 7 months.....

28 out side with 25mph wind and smoking!!! What a great day!
Kingsford Barrel Grill

Smok'em if ya got'em
bfraze99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #17
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
So where am I supposed to get my farking frogs now?
Just look for the group of monkeys.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Brizz
Full Fledged Farker

I posted a similar experience last month. I had a 25% off coup at Ace and decided WTH. I was doing a hot and fast brisket so I did 50/50 Cowboy with briquettes and was really impressed. It was better than the RO I've had the last year. Now if I could just get my hands on more coupons...
Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
MattCom
Take a breath!

I too used to rag on cowboy lump for it's low quality. I even adopted someone else's story of finding a cabinet hinge in the bag... for funzzies.
Last Aug I needed lump in a pinch and went to Lowes and bought the large bag of Cowboy. The stuff was excellent. Huge chucks.. I mean huge! Think old oil can size chunks that I put aside for long smokes. The rest was nice size and very little dust and crumbs. It's nice to see a company turn a product around. How 'bout them Cowboys!

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
Timmohre
Found some matches.

Default Love this stuff

Been grilling all year with Cowboy from a local store here in Michigan. Probably used 10 bags or more. Never a hint of trouble. In fact, comparing it to royal oak earlier in the year the Cowboy stuff blew it away. Consistent excellent results.
Timmohre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Ribbit! I mean, Trout!!

I'll have to give CB another try, Lazzari and Wicked Good have been my go-to's for a couple years now, never gotten anything weird out of them... but a friend got 2 live lizards out of a bag of lazzari once, God only knows what they were up to in there...
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't understand why you guys keep beating yourselves up about lump. Simple solution make your own.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
TulareJohn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have only been using lump for just awhile, and my first bag was Cowboy and had good pieces throughout, but with abit of "sparking". Lateley I have been using Frontier, which has also been good, with just a tad of "sparking", which was less than CB... I have a bag of Best of the West sitting waiting for a try, once my Frontier is used up... I have not found any "junque" in any bags yet of either brand.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #24
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Hey Gore... What's that freaky effect in the very bottom picture at the top right? Is that a Balrog's whip coming out to try to get a hold of you?
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #25
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I did it...I finally bought a 20lb bag at lowes. I'll give it a shot this weekend. I hope it sucks cause they only had 1 bag left, so if it's awesome, I'm probably farked because they'll be sold out when I go back. In which case, I'm obviously going to blame bigabyte.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Okay, enough about how good this chit is..I get it Went to my local Festival today and what was staring me in the puss.......Yup a Cowboys Lump. So I picked up two bags and will give it a run this weekend. I hope you farkers are right, because if your not, somebody getting the rocks and concrete and farking nails sent in an unmarked box........Gore
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Okay, enough about how good this chit is..I get it Went to my local Festival today and what was staring me in the puss.......Yup a Cowboys Lump. So I picked up two bags and will give it a run this weekend. I hope you farkers are right, because if your not, somebody getting the rocks and concrete and farking nails sent in an unmarked box........Gore
Don't forget about the Balrog...
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #28
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I just checked the bag again: "Free Balrog Inside!"
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #29
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I just checked the bag again: "Free Balrog Inside!"
No wonder it lights so fast.................
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #30
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
a friend got 2 live lizards out of a bag of lazzari once, God only knows what they were up to in there...
What was that cowboy movie that came out a few years ago? Oh yeah, Brokeback Mountain.

Tags
cowboy, lump