MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
If the flat of brisket is so bad and nasty and tastes bad, why is brisket so popular, why does everybody cook it and why is it a major bbq category in comps? Seems crazy to cook expensive meat that you don't even like? I honestly don't cook much brisket, because the farking things are nearly $50 here for a 8 lb. packer. I can get four big boston butts or racks of ribs or several good steaks or two bottles of good bourbon for that price. So let me get this straight-y'all actually routinely cook a $50 piece of meat that you don't like, then feed 3/4 of it to the dogs or grind it up into burger when you can get burger meat that isn't dry and tasteless for a third of the price?
I really enjoy both point and flat if I don't screw anything up. After chopping the point on my first few brisket attempts for "burnt ends" and being less than impressed, I found the light after slicing. I think I understand the term gold fever now as I'll hoard the sliced point meat as much as I can. Although after seeing some of the burnt end pics on here I may have to give them another go as mine didn't look that good. More like chunks of meteorite.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #32
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirknwrk View Post
I live in KC... Just across the line from you. Haven't been able to find a butcher shop that has points... Bichelmeyers, in KCK said they could get a case of them but no one seems to have them ready to sell.
The place I am talking about is Steve's Meat market in Desoto. No far from me. I was quoted 2.49 a pound a while back...and they said they usually had them depending how many I wanted.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #33
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

I tried making burnt ends but I put too much brisket drippings in the pan so they came out a little greasy....flavor and texture was good just too greasy. Still working on em.
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #34
Enkidu
Take a breath!

I like making burnt ends (or fake burnt ends, I guess). I actually like the flat quite a bit. I've never really sliced the point and ate that (although I find myself picking at it quite a bit, as does my wife, when prepping the point for burnt ends).

Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
If the flat of brisket is so bad and nasty and tastes bad, why is brisket so popular, why does everybody cook it and why is it a major bbq category in comps? Seems crazy to cook expensive meat that you don't even like? I honestly don't cook much brisket, because the farking things are nearly $50 here for a 8 lb. packer. I can get four big boston butts or racks of ribs or several good steaks or two bottles of good bourbon for that price. So let me get this straight-y'all actually routinely cook a $50 piece of meat that you don't like, then feed 3/4 of it to the dogs or grind it up into burger when you can get burger meat that isn't dry and tasteless for a third of the price?
Brisket just jumped in price recently. I was paying $1.58/lb (or less) for choice flat 10 years ago. In comparison, ribeye is only $1 more a pound today than it was then.

BBQ is cheap cuts elevated by the process. Find out what is cheap in your area and throw it on.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #36
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Isn't point the entire reason for brisket? I loooooove me some fatty beef. Doesn't matter whether it's cubed or sliced, I'd rather have point than almost anything else on the cow.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #37
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I think sliced flat is popular in comps is because it presents well, and takes some skill to cook correctly. There is after all, an appearance score that is very important. However, I often see burnt ends in boxes along with slices of the flat, those might help on the taste and tenderness scores. If you are paying $6/lb for brisket, you need to shop around..... I just bought two sixteen pound choice angus ones for $36 each.

EDIT - I checked prices today when I was at Sam's.... whole choice angus briskets were up to $2.48 lb.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by thirdeye; 01-09-2013 at 03:16 PM..
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #38
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Da brother's got a POINT.

.......sorry....

But I have to say......there ain't NOTHIN wrong with that flat meat either. I can't see discarding of it in any way other than eating it just after slicing or putting the slices on sammiches the next day, which is how the 17 lb packer that I made on NYE got DESTROYED by my family (after I removed the point for chili meat).

I mean, do whatcha wont y'all, but in my book, not thoroughly enjoying brisket in any form is a little .

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
SteevieG
On the road to being a farker

My wife watched the last Pitmasters show and now has a jones for burnt ends... I went to the store (2 actually) and an 11 pound whole brisket (the only one in the store) was $55. I can't justify that. Can 'faux' burnt ends be made from something else? Perhaps chuck roast?

8was going for $55. As much as I'd like to do it I cannot justify

18.5" WSM
22.5 WSM
And a nice propane grill that gets very little use anymore...
SteevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #40
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteevieG View Post
My wife watched the last Pitmasters show and now has a jones for burnt ends... I went to the store (2 actually) and an 11 pound whole brisket (the only one in the store) was $55. I can't justify that. Can 'faux' burnt ends be made from something else? Perhaps chuck roast?

8was going for $55. As much as I'd like to do it I cannot justify
Ouch! How bout hot dogs?

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #41
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

Love the burnt ends, so I sacrifice.