Weber Kettle Score

thirtydaZe

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Pulled up to my grandma's house Christmas Eve, only to see a fascinating sight. It was my grandpa's old weber kettle! has been sitting in the same spot for 10+ years, and i'm sure it was several more years since it's last use.

This baby has some sentimental value for me, so i ask grandma if i could by chance take it home with me.

She said yes!

Cleaned it up best i could the very next day......
IMAGE_0665A9D4-76EC-43E3-ABC2-0113EA7C9F11.JPG

the white flakes you might see are ash specks from my old charcoal grill we take camping with us.

New cooking rack.
IMAGE_E64D2363-4C9F-4432-BC94-9095CC9852E7.JPG

New charcoal rack.
IMAGE_235DAF4F-FBFE-4422-B262-A374A347E471.JPG

It lives again!
IMAGE_B36B6BC5-B3DC-4AA3-9517-FDF3100F64D1.JPG

Test run with some wings and drummies...
IMAGE_067CBB8F-9C35-4FD3-93AF-B94200199590.JPG

I'm excited about it. :clap2: going to go in for a new handle, and perhaps some of you pros can give me some advice on any other goodies i should look into.

It's got some rust on the bottom, but i'd like to do what i can to keep it with me for as long as she'll go.

Since it has sentimental value, check the sale section and look at the custom handles Marty makes.

It's the grill you can pass through generations. Like a diamond commercial only barbecue.

Nice score! Im guessing that it's a pre-79, no date stamp?

A Marty leach handle is definitely in order for that baby!!

Oh, and if the lower vent wheels are a bit leaky and in need of replacing, give weber a call, the lower vents from a 22.5 WSM fit perfectly and will cost you about $6.50

Nice score! Im guessing that it's a pre-79, no date stamp?

A Marty leach handle is definitely in order for that baby!!

Oh, and if the lower vent wheels are a bit leaky and in need of replacing, give weber a call, the lower vents from a 22.5 WSM fit perfectly and will cost you about $6.50

i was actually wondering about this, have any clue where to look for the date stamp.

i posted 10 + years old, but my grandpa has been past for that time frame, and had gotten a gasser years before he quit using the kettle.

i'd love to know the actual age.

Congrats on a fantastic score! :thumb: If that kettle was your grandpa's and has sentimental value for you, there must be a way to patch the rust spots. Doesn't someone on this site have some ideas as to how to go about that? We've got people here building smokers from scratch, so patching shouldn't be that big a deal. If I'm wrong, somebody straighten me out here. :noidea:

That's really special. I love stories like that.

Mine has an H so '82 im guessing.

Negatory good buddy!! I'm working with publick edjacashun, but my fingers tell me it's more like an '86! :becky:

79 - A, 80 - B, 81 - C, 82 - D... 86 - H

Now you've got me scratching my head cuz, I'm far from being an expert on kettles, But I thought that the metal handles went away some time in the early 80's... My "H" has wooden handles on the kettle base... My pre 79 has metal handles... Is it maybe an "A"?

Swamprb??? What say you??

Negatory good buddy!! I'm working with publick edjacashun, but my fingers tell me it's more like an '86! :becky:

79 - A, 80 - B, 81 - C, 82 - D... 86 - H

Now you've got me scratching my head cuz, I'm far from being an expert on kettles, But I thought that the metal handles went away some time in the early 80's... My "H" has wooden handles on the kettle base... My pre 79 has metal handles... Is it maybe an "A"?

Swamprb??? What say you??

Ill double check but certain its an H. The vent on the lid.

Just to be clear, handle on the lid = wood.
Handles on the sides = metal.

Thats what you meant?

EDIT: just took a pic ill post tomorrow when im on a p.c. to see if im on the right track.

If the lid vent is H, then the lid is newer than the bowl.

Which may be. However they are from small town Nebraska so it would be unusual to have it pieced together but resourseful as he was not out of the question.

Vents on the bottom lettered too?

Back