• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

what to do with $200?

M

Marck

Okay, help me out here. I've got 200 bucks to spend on some new gear - here are the options I'm considering;

1) the copper colored 22.5 Weber at Target for $100, plus a smokenator with hovergrill and thermometer.
2) the copper colored Weber and a regular black 22.5 Weber
3) used 18" WSM on Craigslist, comes with cover and a couple bags of Kingsford for $200.

At this point my only gear is a 22.5 Weber.

What would you get?

I would save it till I had another 150 then get the 22.5 WSM. If you get the 18.5 You will always wish you had the 22.5

The smaller WSMs are just a tease. Like Winemaster said, ifyou get one, you'll just wish you'd gotten the 22" model. And if you get the 22" model, you'll kick yourself for dropping that kind of coin on a smoker you could have built yourself out of a 55 gal. steel drum and a few misc. parts.

Gotta go with bover on this one.

I know there are a bunch of threads on the UDS, but, quick question - do you have to know how to weld in order to make one? What's the biggest advantage of a UDS over a couple of kettles?

I know there are a bunch of threads on the UDS, but, quick question - do you have to know how to weld in order to make one? What's the biggest advantage of a UDS over a couple of kettles?

I've built four UDS and have no idea how to weld. You absolutely can build a fantastic cooker w/o welding.

The advantage of a UDS over a kettle is that it holds rock solid temperatures for very long cooks and uses very little fuel. One well-built UDS will have three to four times the cooking capacity of a kettle and will use less than 10# of briquettes (maybe a little more if you use lump) for a 12 to 13 hour cook. Full packer briskets are hard to do on a kettle - but they're a breeze on a UDS.

no welding required. i made one in a little under an hour last monday, but i used a welder on my coal basket. you dont need to though, you can just bolt it together.

if you took a little time and found a drum that will accept your existing weber lid (they are out there) you would be able to easily double decker the meat and still have room for a 3rd rack down that could hold a water pan just like the WSM only bigger, badder, and hell of alot cheaper.

I just done 6 brisket flats on my UDS that averaged 6lbs each... do that on a kettle... used lump, abt 10 lbs and burned for 9 1/2 hrs and used abt half of it..... shut the vents all down, smothered out the fire, and will use it next time with a little fresh..... I LOVE my drum, and sacrificed a 22" kettle for the rack, lid, and charcoal grate... never looked back. (I do have a 18" kettle that I use abt 6 times a year)....

If you get the 18.5 You will always wish you had the 22.5

The smaller WSMs are just a tease. Like Winemaster said, ifyou get one, you'll just wish you'd gotten the 22" model.

I disagree. I have 5 18.5" WSMs and have never wished for the bigger one.

Get the WSM on CL, you will NOT regret it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The UDS thing is tempting, but it feels like a whole new ballgame. I'm gonna go with what I know and get the copper colored Weber (well, it's just cool), a hover grill, and some fire brick and save the rest toward a Cajun Bandit. Two Webers with a hover grill in one of them is enough space for me right now, nearly triples what I have.

I disagree. I have 5 18.5" WSMs and have never wished for the bigger one.

Uh, but you have 5 (five) ! So you did want more space, you just went a different route than most other people might take. Not faulting you for having 5, heck buy 5 more. Just maybe 18.5 x 1 may not be enough.

Behold the WSM! :shocked:

Weber%20Smokey%20Mountain%20Cooker.jpg

Last edited:
I would go for the WSM or build a UDS. Both are totally new and awesome smoking experiences.

Back