MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #106
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

oh wel.. snif snif.....its gone.. snif snif.... Truck came and got it today. Waybill was listed as "salvage". That hurt. Was a fiasco getting it on the truck. The send this truck with a puny little liftgate that was just about big enough to fit the pit. The lift was 2 sections with a 5 inch rise over 3 inchs which is pretty steep to push 900 lbs up onto, especially with snow on the driveway. The gate itself, once the pit was on it had about 3 inchs on the sides and front. the back was right at the edge. Almost toppled it twice when he kept moving it around and one wheel would fall off the gate.. twice the side of the truck stopped it from falling completely over. When he finally got it centered on the gate, he started the lift, it jerked up and the second outside section dropped about 2 inchs launching the pit off the gate and toppling it over, of course right where i was standing. Caught it from falling completely over but that was one heavy farker. The driver kept insisting how easy it was gonna be.. Wouldn't believe me when i said its falls over easy.. Now I know how this thing got damaged.. If all the drivers are like this guy, it fell over a few times. Figured from the beginning that the only way enough force can be generated o bend the stuff the way it was.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 08:36 AM   #107
BuckSpin
Found some matches.

What is the clearance/space between the shelves? The 56sq ft of shelf space is very nice.
BuckSpin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #108
BBQchef33

i didnt measure it, but i made sure a full size rib rack fit. It did with about 3-4 inchs of clearance above it. Thats enuf to stand spares on end. Only think id have to remove shelves for is to do a turkey.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 01-23-2005, 02:10 AM   #109
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Name;
Tipsy

Maybe Dave should fly you down to test out Tipsy2 before he ships her!

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #110
Heimelswine
Knows what a fatty is.

Default The MOAB

As usual, I'm days late and dollars short. That was an awesome smoker. It's alot like what I'm looking for in my new smoker. I have to say that it's a beauty. Too bad it had to go back. I saw that you said you were going to have to do biscuit testing. How does that work? I haven't heard of it, yet I can see something like that identifying the hotter spots in a smoker. Sorry this is so late after all the messages, but I just sat down to read the WHOLE string.

Roy
Heimelswine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #111
BBQchef33

biscuit test: Get a few packages of pop-n-fresh biscuits. enough to put 6 or 9 per shelf. With the smoker at 250-300, start cookin ght biscuits and keep an eye on how things cook and where. it will map out the characteristics of the chamber. Hot spots cookin faster cold spots cook slow... real hot spots burn the bottoms.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 02-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #112
BBQchef33

Figure since the thread re-opened, i'd update. Dave called me up the day the pit arrived back at his shop. Seems it arrived with even more damege than when it left here. Steel was gouged out and the back panels were bent. He said it looked like it got hit by a forklift. I will be working with Monty as soon as I get a chance t work onthe redesign of the firebox and waterpan. stay tuned.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 02-03-2005, 09:05 AM   #113
jt
Babbling Farker

Sounds to me like you better plan on picking it up yourself if you want it to arrive in good shape.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #114
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

I'll drive down and pick up Tipsy2 for a small fee and a week of Q'ing and Boose at your place. I don't drink all THAT much,,,,,,,.

I might even bring Tipsy2 all the way back to NY! :P

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 12:39 PM   #115
BBQchef33

Holy FARK!!!!

It showed up TODAY!

After shipping MOAB back to Klose and it being more destroyed on the return trip, i was hesitant about having another shipped up and was considering alternatives(thanks Tim). I spoke to Monty, Dave Kloses Fabricator and told him some of the stuff i saw wrong with the old design. The plan was to get together and work on Version II. WE never hooked up, so I thought stuff was still on hold. I was seriously considering going with a differnt type cooker this time, but Oh well...guess I'll just have to settle.

MOAB v2 showed up today. SURPRISE to me. Called Monty and he said it was tested for 3 days and works amazingly well. It seems seasoned allready, opened up and the smell of mesquite hit me right tween the eyes.

Due to the lowered firebox its not top heavy this time.. It shipped with a medical equipment shipping company that ships MRI equipment and such.. Trucker said they specialize in shipping highend or fragile equipment. Behind the smoker on the truck were 2 $60,000 choppers(motorcycles) shipped form southern california. I asked if he'd drop them off instead, but he declined. :) The pit was shrinkwrapped, wrapped in padding and strapped to the wall. Other company had it rolling around the back of the truck and bouncing off walls. Guess Dave switching shipping companies. This puppy arrived in pristine condition. Not a scratch.

Got a little work to do and then gonna find something to cook. :) Rob.. u still comin out tomorrow?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules....view_album.php

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #116
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Is that a grill/griddle over the firebox, or is it a heat shield to force heat into the pit?

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #117
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congratulations! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #118
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

That looks great Phil.I'm sure it will get a work out at Bash V.
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #119
jt
Babbling Farker

Sweet!

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #120
BBQchef33

Its both. Under the plate(1/4 inch steel/), is a grate. The plate can be used as a griddle, I am goint to leave it in place all the time just as more insulation. Top of the firebox stays pretty cool with it there. Preheat wood mod may be an issue. :)

I discoved the atkins version of the Biscuit test. !!

The bacon test.

Scatter bacon around the chamber and see how it cooks where. Shows the hot and cold spots.. and IMO.. bacon beats biscuits to eat after you mapped the chamber. :)

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM