The Cook’s Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbecue?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this book? It mostly seems to deal with charcoal and gas grilling. I have and love America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. I just wanted to get a good grilling book for kicks.
BR_GuidetoGrilling_and_BBQ_250.jpg

I'll be interested in your opinion of it also. I subscribe to the periodical and it's usually a good read. However, one of their favorite things to do is streamline recipes. I've seen them streamline BBQ and it makes me cringe.

I like a lot of the recipes and guides in the Cooks Illustrated magazine but was never impressed with their bbq related ones

I have had a copy for a couple of years. It has good information, articles about best buys for the kitchen, grill etc. It isn't about smoking as we practice it. It will tell you how to cook something on a Weber charcoal and using gas. THe Weber kettle is the go to for them. If you get a discount coupon at Barnes and Nobles I'd buy it, thats what I did. All in all it has good information. IMO

Its great however it seemed to me that they are very quick to use the oven on barbecue...

I call them CROOKS Illustrated. Has more to do with their billing and marketing, but thats another thread in woodpile.

It's allright - some good grilling stuff. For low & slow, they're basically assuming you don't have a smoker & their method involves using the Weber kettle as a smoker - while there is nothing wrong with that, I'm confident most if not all people here have some kind of smoker. They talk about soaking wood chips (ahem), but there are some good basic rub & sauce recipes.

I haven't looked at the book in awhile, but my basic take would be the recipes are good but if you've been bbqing for awhile, you should probably go with the methods you already know. I've made a couple things out of apl's Serious Barbecue book lately and have really enjoyed that.

I agree with gtr. Very basic and the recipes are nothing too thrilling. If you want a cool grilling book might I suggest, "The Thrill of the Grill: Techniques, Recipes, & Down-Home Barbecue" by Christopher Schlesinger. It's one of my favorites. :cool:

Its an ok book, but as with many CI recipes, etc now I find myself somewhat disenchanted. I think the book is good when you are beginning to grill/barbecue, but you will probably outgrow it soon.

One good feature of many CI recipes is that they are pretty reproducible since they have worked all the kinks out of the recipes. And as someone pointed out above, they don't really dabble in smokers. if you get a good deal on it then buy it, but I wouldn't spend a lot of $$ on it.

Thanks for saving me a few bucks for not adding this book to my collection.

On the other hand I still like Cook's Illustrated a lot. :-D

I like the Cook's Ill mag as well. I've learned general cooking principles from them that I otherwise wouldn't have known & I've had a lot of success with their non-bbq recipes.

I've had it for a few years and it's good food for thought, even for the experienced griller. As mentioned the smoking assumes you are using a kettle or the oven.

Thanks for the replies. I've been really into the CI Family of websites for about the last 4 months. I agree that they really try to sell you everything under the sun but I appreciate the wealth of info they have to offer. They have tamed my fears about a lot of things. I was floored by how easy it is to make Alfredo sauce. That's my favorite side with grilled steak!

As far as their BBQ approach I initially felt I'd rather stick with The Brethren for my BBQ education but I figured there might be some cool things in that book. I was planning to order another of their books from Amazon.com and needed something to get me over $25.00 to get free shipping. Still debating though.

If you're looking to buy a cookbook, Adam Perry Lang has a couple good ones - I just got Serious Barbecue and have been enjoying that lately. There's also Legends of Texas, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book, Smoke & Spice, etc.

I just got an interesting book called The Flavor Bible (thanks PatioDaddio!) which isn't really a coobook, but more about balancing flavors, herbs, spices, etc. I just started that one & it has a lot of great info for all types of cooking.

Back