• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Selecting a brisket

Invicta Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If you had a choice of what side your brisket came from, what side would it be? I've been told in the past that one side is better than the other, is this true?

Invicta.

A long time ago someone said that cows lay on their left side so the left side brisket would get more work from them getting up, so it would be tougher. I think I have that right. This was attributed to Johnny Trigg, but I'm not 100% sure that is true.

Anyway, I have cooked lefties and righties and can't tell any difference. I find the best brisket I can (thick flat, nice marbling, etc.) and just cook it.

Actually you are supposed to laugh at my post and pay attention to Ron's post. I have not seen any pronounced difference between LH and RH briskets either.

A long time ago someone said that cows lay on their left side so the left side brisket would get more work from them getting up, so it would be tougher. I think I have that right. This was attributed to Johnny Trigg, but I'm not 100% sure that is true.

Anyway, I have cooked lefties and righties and can't tell any difference. I find the best brisket I can (thick flat, nice marbling, etc.) and just cook it.

Hey Ron, the story came from Shingleman in a 2001 post on the Basso Forum. HERE it is from an earlier thread on this subject. And here is a chart for figuring out if you have a lefty or righty.... You need the chart as most meat cutters give you a crazy look when you ask for a left side brisket.

Beefside2.jpg

I'm getting a steer put down next week so I'll compare sides.
But I think he's ambitextrous so there may be no comparison.

Really, I raise cattle and couldn't tell ya which are left or right "handed"
Might have to give them a written test to find out :laugh:

Still drinking the old Kool-Aid Wayne? :bounce: :biggrin1:

Yep. Large glass too. :mrgreen:

I'm getting a steer put down next week so I'll compare sides.
But I think he's ambitextrous so there may be no comparison.

Really, I raise cattle and couldn't tell ya which are left or right "handed"
Might have to give them a written test to find out :laugh:

Just sneak up on the heard when they are napping.

Cow_lying_on_side.jpg

I've been looking at dairy cattle for the past few years to see if there is any pattern to what side they use. Beef cattle may be different for some reason, but dairy cattle in those parts have no discernible preference. I've concluded that it makes no difference.

I've been looking at dairy cattle for the past few years to see if there is any pattern to what side they use. Beef cattle may be different for some reason, but dairy cattle in those parts have no discernible preference. I've concluded that it makes no difference.

No there is no difference in Beefers. I actually was looking in the pastures on the way back to my house and there were about 50/50 which side they were laying on.

As I said I'll see if they'll take a written test, then we'll know if there are right or left handed cattle :mrgreen:

On my cow field it depends on time of day, year and which palm tree they are under.Does it matter which side she lays on while giving birth?

So that's y I had a couple Chitty Briskets those few times in between Good Ones......:doh:

Back