• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Make Your Point!

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How many of you guys sacrifice your brisket points to make burnt ends? My first couple briskets I did this but have been slicing instead the last several cooks. After having sliced point I've never been more excited to shove meat in my mouth. I was curious if people use it for burnt ends because they don't care for the fattier meat or did my "burnt ends" just suck that bad?

Around here we save the brisket flats for the uneducated, The point is where it's at! Glad you have seen the light.IMO Fake burnt ends are a fad like JT ribs and cooking in foil besides they just suck, not my idea of real BBQ brisket but then I grew up in Brisket central I just know better.:biggrin1:

Honetly, I only buy and cook briskets so I can eat the point!:becky: Sliced, chopped, burnt ends, doesn't matter...so long as it's good, well cooked point meat!

The flat goes into chili, or the dog bowl, or something else. I don't do as many brisket leftovers any more, so I only eat the good stuff. No time for that other crap.

Around here we save the brisket flats for the uneducated, The point is where it's at! Glad you have seen the light.IMO Fake burnt ends are a fad like JT ribs and cooking in foil besides they just suck, not my idea of real BBQ brisket but then I grew up in Brisket central I just know better.:biggrin1:

Just curious , what are JT ribs?

I'm with Bludawg,

I cook brisket so that, I can have the point. it even influences when I'm selecting a cut.

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

Regards

JV

Wow... This thread is an education in itself. I make a decent brisket (only just recently thanks to the Brethren BTW), but I've never tried to make the point into anything but burnt ends, which never really have been all that great to be honest.

I've made burnt ends (actually they're known as fake burnt ends) a few times and loved 'em, but I'd rather save the trouble and just slice and eat the farking point. Why wait? Plus I'm eating a little healthier and fatty meat is enough without a bunch of add'l salt and sauce (which I almost never use anyway) and whatnot. I'm happy just to stand there, slice, and eat. :thumb:

Hey..I just found a meat market that sells points...my next cook will be a couple of points...one to slice and one to make burnt-ends.

Anybody else just cook a point.

Burnt ends are a Kansas City thing. Years ago Arthur Bryant's used to chop the scrap, overcooked, hard exterior pieces of brisket and serve them for free to customers waiting in line. The meat was thought to be too overcooked or tough to charge customers for it. At some point, people started calling those morsels burnt ends. There was also a short supply because only the scrap portions of briskets that couldn't be eaten without chopping first were served for free. It soon got to a point that people were asking for burnt ends. So, Arthur Bryant decided to start charging customers for it.

Today, restaurants cut the "point" or "deckle" portion of briskets in to cubes after cooking the brisket whole. Then, they either add more rub or sauce or both to the cubes and put them back in the smoker for a couple of hours and then serve them as "burnt ends." But, today's burnt ends are not what was originally served.

All that being said, Aaron Franklin's burnt ends are like what was originally served at Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City. Aaron removes the outer portions of brisket that are overcooked, coarsely chops them and serves them on his "Tipsy Texan" sandwich. He serves the "point" portion of brisket in slices just as he does the "flat" portion. The point portion he calls "fatty" brisket and the "flat" portion he calls "lean" brisket. This is because the point has a higher fat content and a lot more beefy flavor than the flat.

Nowadays, this is how I eat the brisket point (deckle). It's the choicest part that I dig into first.

picture.php

No fake KC burnt ends for me.

Heck Guys, I have not tried it yet. BIL and SIL came over on my last briskit cook and we all had to point tore up and ate before I could even consider it. ;D

Still want to try it though.

Hey..I just found a meat market that sells points...my next cook will be a couple of points...one to slice and one to make burnt-ends.

Anybody else just cook a point.

i'd be all over that if it was a decent price!

Burnt ends are a Kansas City thing. Years ago Arthur Bryant's used to chop the scrap, overcooked, hard exterior pieces of brisket and serve them for free to customers waiting in line. The meat was thought to be too overcooked or tough to charge customers for it. At some point, people started calling those morsels burnt ends. There was also a short supply because only the scrap portions of briskets that couldn't be eaten without chopping first were served for free. It soon got to a point that people were asking for burnt ends. So, Arthur Bryant decided to start charging customers for it.

Today, restaurants cut the "point" or "deckle" portion of briskets in to cubes after cooking the brisket whole. Then, they either add more rub or sauce or both to the cubes and put them back in the smoker for a couple of hours and then serve them as "burnt ends." But, today's burnt ends are not what was originally served.

All that being said, Aaron Franklin's burnt ends are like what was originally served at Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City. Aaron removes the outer portions of brisket that are overcooked, coarsely chops them and serves them on his "Tipsy Texan" sandwich. He serves the "point" portion of brisket in slices just as he does the "flat" portion. The point portion he calls "fatty" brisket and the "flat" portion he calls "lean" brisket. This is because the point has a higher fat content and a lot more beefy flavor than the flat.

Nowadays, this is how I eat the brisket point (deckle). It's the choicest part that I dig into first.

picture.php

No fake KC burnt ends for me.

This picture is why I'll never do anything but slice my point. A thing of beauty!

Back