MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
bhurst10
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Talking New Braunfels Silver Smoker

I just wanted to say this site has help me out a lot. I recently purchased a New Braunfels Silver Smoker from off Craigs list for $70 everything I had read about seemed like it was a really good grill. Thick medal and a lot of the modifications that I read on this site and others seemed pretty easy to do. So here are my before and after pictures, today is the first day after doing a couple of test runs that I am actually smoking two slabs of ribs. It has been going on two hours and my temp has been holding good at 220 F. Right now I am in Virginia Beach, Va and the temp right now outside is is 45 F. So let say I am very happy . A few of the mods I did I added the Heat Deflector between the firebox and the Smoker. I made a tuner plate out of my fiance cookie baking sheet. She said ti was old and I could have it. I also extended the exhaust stack down to the grates. I added two temp gauges to at on both sides of the smoke box at the grate level. I also got some expanded metal and made a charcoal basket. Lastly I sealed up all the air leaks with high temp RTV. And like I said she is holding temp good at 220 F going on 3 hours now. I almost forgot I sanded it down primed it and paint with high temp paint in my favorite football team colors. In all I thing I may have invested another $70 on top of the $70 I paid but I feel it was very well worth it and I really think I am going to enjoy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT3.jpg (69.8 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT2.jpg (64.1 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT1.jpg (70.8 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg NEW BRAUNFELS SMOKER GRILL PROJECT.jpg (52.5 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg Falcons Smoker.jpg (51.3 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg Falcons Smoker 1.jpg (60.1 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg Falcons Smoker 2.jpg (53.4 KB, 428 views)
bhurst10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking rig! A little TLC can do wonders to an old gal like that. My silver smoker got the same makeover when I first bought it off CL. I just used flat black BBQ pit paint instead of the custom paint job. Mine is not an NB though. Its the old Char-Broil one when they bought out NB.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Impressive!! How many man hours would you say that restoration took?
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
davefan360
Take a breath!

nice rebuild

Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I have the same kind minus the shelve. I modified mine into a reverse flow. They can produce some fine BBQ once you learn to cook on them. Although yours may never cook right with that dirty bird on it.... Just kidding, paint job does look good. Nice restore!!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Very nice.
What's the difference between a NB Silver and the Black Diamond model? They look the same to me.
I know the NB Hondo has wire shelves on the fire box & cook chamber instead of a wood shelf on cook chamber only. Otherwise all the same.
BTW... is that a Falcon on there??? ewwwwww!
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
aawa
Babbling Farker

Looks good. I was actually looking at that smoker on craigslist last week (Since im in Va Beach). Funny to see the person that decided to buy it shows up on the forums!

P.S. Welcome to the Brethrens!

Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

Nice rig! I did the exact same mods to my char- grill smokin' pro with side firebox, but I also made it a reverse flow. You can kick out some pretty good "Q" on these things.
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Nice restoration!

The NB Sliver smoker and the NB Black Diamond are very similar as far as design. The Black Diamond had an optional warming plate while the Silver did not.

The main difference is age. The Silver Smoker was first introduced in 2001 several years after the acquisition by Charbroil. The Black Diamond dates back several years earlier.

A good rule of thumb is to try and find a New Braunfels smoker made before Charbroil shut down the New Braunfels manufacturing plant (Spring 2002). Manufacturing then switched to Georgia and ultimately China.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
bhurst10

In time it took about two weeks but I wasn't working on it every day. But if I had to estimate totally time I would say about six hours. The longest time took sanding it down, and letting the primer, and paint cure.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
bhurst10

I would very interested in seeing some pictures of your reverse flow if you have any thanks.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
bhurst10

Hey thanks I have been doing all my smoking on my Weber Kettle 22.5. I invested in the smokernator and I tell I honestly think it is an awesome smoker just wanted to try the offset and couldn't pass up the price.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
campdude
Babbling Farker

Looks like you did a great job! Enjoy it
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
Tack
Full Fledged Farker

I have the same cooker. It will make some mighty fine Q.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst10 View Post
I would very interested in seeing some pictures of your reverse flow if you have any thanks.
That cooker is in my toy hauler camper that's in storage. Give me a few days and I can get some pics for ya.