Stuffed Onions

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Okay all, first I must admit to "stealing" this idea from Jeanie (Cowgirl). She had done a post where she had done stuffed onions in a dutch oven, they looked terrific. I started running ideas through my mind, lots of different approaches you could take with this idea. So here is my first shot at a stuffed onion, kind of a tex-mex on the grill approach:
th_mollypics037_zps8a11a0b0.jpg
th_mollypics041_zps559f7846.jpg

A variety of products involved here, sorta came up with a mexican meatloaf of sorts for the filling with some white cheddar chunks mixed in, then......
th_mollypics042_zpsd7e73237.jpg

wrapped them with bacon, always better with bacn, right? Had some leftover filling that I just turned into a mini-meatloaf ..
th_mollypics044_zpsbff0e7e4.jpg

then onto the kettle, cooked indirect at around 350* til the bacon looked nice and done, about an hour and a half...
bth_mollypics045_zps793f866c.jpg

Had to brave the elements, it was raining and hailing with temps in the 30's, about 9:00 P.M..........brrrrrrrr........
bth_mollypics043_zps6ee6acb0.jpg

While those were cooking, I whipped up some spanish rice to go along, and also warmed up some jalepeno black beans (out of a can:cry:).......
bth_mollypics049_zpsfd82dc53.jpg

And then there were these.........
bth_mollypics050_zpsced0c269.jpg
\
bth_mollypics051_zps14ba666a.jpg

bth_mollypics052_zps588648e5.jpg

And then plated and dressed up with some Cheddar cheese and in the oven for a few minutes, then topped with some fresh sliced avacado, sour cream and salsa.........
bth_mollypics054_zpsf827c76b.jpg

bth_mollypics053_zpsca317d7f.jpg

And then a bite.....
bth_mollypics055_zpsb8c99d94.jpg

Soooooo a thanks to Jeanie for the inspiration.
It all came out pretty tasty for making it up on the fly.
Hope you all enjoyed,
Thanks for looking!

They look great Code3! I like your bacon and grill idea, I will give it a try. Thanks! :-D

WOW, I saw this on Cowgirl's blog and it made me drool, now I see your version and I'm drooling again!!!!

Man I need to fire up the grill!

:mrgreen:

You got that right. High drool factor for this cook.

Nice job on some great lookin onions.:thumb:

Back