Overnight Cooks & Unwelcome Visitors

SPRfree

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Brethren,

Yes I live in NJ and yes we have an active black bear population.

Has anyone had a problem with a bear "interupting" their cook?

I would hate to go to bed and have a bear knock over my WSM and set the back of my house on fire...plus losing a good piece of meat.

Thanks to all.

I'm in Oakland and have the same problem cept it ain't black bears that will steal ur grub.... Iron locked gate keeps them at bay.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm waiting until the bears hibernate to do an overnight UDS cook. They come right into town sometimes.

The other common pest animals where I live are deer, but they like the bedding plants, not brisket.

Brethren,

Yes I live in NJ and yes we have an active black bear population.

Has anyone had a problem with a bear "interupting" their cook?

I would hate to go to bed and have a bear knock over my WSM and set the back of my house on fire...plus losing a good piece of meat.

Thanks to all.

you could always try cooking hot and fast, then you wouldnt have to cook over night. just a thought.....

Woud that be BooBoo or Yogi? You need the Cure: Remington 870 12 ga and a box of slugs BBQ Bear is gooood!

hmm...don't think my neighbors would care for gun fire my lot is 75' x 125'. Last year there was a bear hunt in NJ one local bear top 600 lbs...lots of bbq there...does dumpster diving impart favor to the meat.

Bears are no joke around here! My aunt regularly had them up on her deck because she has a few outdoor cats and thats where she kept their food.

Bears are no joke around here! My aunt regularly had them up on her deck because she has a few outdoor cats and thats where she kept their food.

couldn't agree more. Had a local bear climb up on to second floor deck and would not / could not climb back down. Family was scared it would come through the patio door into their bedroom to "escape"

i live in northern california and we just had 4 bears in the back yard momma and 3 cubs.never a problem when ever we cook overnight though.

Here it's coyotes. I had a dozen or so show up the last week when I put out a brisket overnight. Luckily the dogs kept them out of the yard and my 12ga put a damper on their curiosity.

When we're out our house in Montana, I wouldn't think about leaving anything edible outside at night due to the local grizzly population. As mentioned above, hot and fast works best for us up there! :)

Thats why I only do day cooks when camping on our land. Ribs, yard bird and the like.
Had a bear outside our shed one morning my friend doesn't understand why the UDS isn't inside it when not in use :twitch:

We've had a couple cubs hangin around for a few days.
No idea where Momma is. They look too young to be on their own.

Back