MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Turkey breasts on the UDS

I have two 3 pound Butterball turkey breast thawing right now. It was the only turkey breasts available at the store so thats what I have to work with.

I've brined several whole turkeys that cooked in the oven so I'm comfortable with that.

My question is what temp is best on the UDS? In the oven I've used 325º for the whole bird and I'm thinking the same temp will work for the breasts on the UDS. Will a lower temp say 250º keep the meat juicer?
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

IMO, it depends on how important a crispy skin is to you. At 250, the skin will be a little "rubbery", which is why I just remove the skin if I am smoking turkey breasts for sammich meat.
If you want to keep the skin, I'd go for 225-250 for the first hour or so, then crank it up to 325-350 to finish it off and crisp up the skin. Or just run it 325-350 for the entire cook, I've done both and both have come out juicy as long as I've brined it.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do a lot of turkey breasts in my BDS. Actually both barbecue and roasting temperatures work well. I brine all of mine, and often season under the skin too. In addition to regular seasoning I also do a pastramied turkey breast which has an injectable brine and a peppery rub. I think they come out as moist as the ones I use the traditional brine on.

The lower pit temps allow for more smoke flavor on the breast, but the skin suffers a little. Because of the low pit temp it's easier to monitor the internal doneness and catch it when it reaches 160° or 165°.

The roasting temps give the skin a nicer color, and of course allow for a faster cook.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
IMO, it depends on how important a crispy skin is to you. At 250, the skin will be a little "rubbery", which is why I just remove the skin if I am smoking turkey breasts for sammich meat.
If you want to keep the skin, I'd go for 225-250 for the first hour or so, then crank it up to 325-350 to finish it off and crisp up the skin. Or just run it 325-350 for the entire cook, I've done both and both have come out juicy as long as I've brined it.
I did the breasts like you said at 250º for two hours and finished at 350º until done at 160º internally. The turkey turned out very good.

Thank you for your help with a newbie to the wonderful world of UDS cooking.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Glad to help! I love smoking brined turkey breasts and then vacuum pack/freeze them for sammich meat. Beats anything you'll buy at a store.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Glad to help! I love smoking brined turkey breasts and then vacuum pack/freeze them for sammich meat. Beats anything you'll buy at a store.

The Honey Brined Turkey breast recipe of Saiko's is absolutely the best.