Kcbs bod agenda 2-05-10

Great - it took me 3 years to get close to figuring out thighs and now I may have do alter that? That would be a huge rule change that should not go into effect this year ... or ever for that matter. How many cooks were at the rules meeting and was it a fair representation of the KCBS cooks from across the nation?

The other rule changes don't bother me - some good, some bad, some indifferent. I'm taken back by allowing propane, but it doesn't bother me. I'd like to see turn in times stay standard unless a valid reason can be given otherwise (like maybe Murphysburo)

Great - it took me 3 years to get close to figuring out thighs and now I may have do alter that? That would be a huge rule change that should not go into effect this year ... or ever for that matter. How many cooks were at the rules meeting and was it a fair representation of the KCBS cooks from across the nation?

The other rule changes don't bother me - some good, some bad, some indifferent. I'm taken back by allowing propane, but it doesn't bother me. I'd like to see turn in times stay standard unless a valid reason can be given otherwise (like maybe Murphysburo)
Agree with Chicken - should do a vote as part of this falls election if they want this big a change. Ask non cooks to refrain from voting but we can't enforce it.

I don't care when turn in times are but have a real problem without knowing until the cooks meeting. Some people have specific timetables for marinating, injecting and if the time changes significantly it can impact their whole program. To me this is the single biggest impact to cooks.

As for propane, why not, we have every gadget and heat source but propane and electric and we could allow electric as well. If somebody brings in their Amana range and beats us they deserve to win. Would be pretty scary but it would happen to some teams.

The one that caught my attention was:

Change to Rule 11
Judging typically starts at Noon on Saturday, but could vary at any contest.
Turn-in times will be announced at the Cooks Meeting.

Does this mean I can't be sure when the turn in times are until I attend a cooks meeting? Does this give the organizers an opporunity to change the turn in times at the last minute? I would rather the turn-in times be "in stone" at time of sanctioning.

Who cares if it's cooked with a stick burner or propane? Once it gets drowned in Blueshog, who's going to know the difference? (tongue only slightly in cheek)

How many of the board members actively compete? Are Mike Lake and Gene Goycochea are the only two? Do either (or any of the others) compete more than 4-5 times a year?

I'm wondering if the majority of the board even realizes how big of change the chicken suggestions are - or not having set turn in times.

Why add Propane? There is no purpose to it. Can you image these 10k cookers bringing their kitchen and Amana Ranges. Put the apron on Julia, where making a freaking cake!.

As for Ford. No reason to dis us upright charcoal cookers. It's a little harsh calling us small upright cooker cooks, idiots and drunks and I represent that comment.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Why add Propane? There is no purpose to it. Can you image these 10k cookers bringing their kitchen and Amana Ranges. Put the apron on Julia, where making a freaking cake!.

As for Ford. No reason to dis us upright charcoal cookers. It's a little harsh calling us small upright cooker cooks, idiots and drunks and I represent that comment.

I second that!!!!!!!

Chicken – ¾ of the people present requested a change to both white and dark meat be a requirement. Motion if we can come to a recommendation.

Can someone please tell me how many people 3/4 of the people present is?

Thanks
-Mike

Change to Rule 11

Does this mean I can't be sure when the turn in times are until I attend a cooks meeting? Does this give the organizers an opporunity to change the turn in times at the last minute? I would rather the turn-in times be "in stone" at time of sanctioning.
I have a real problem with this one. I now understand why the BOD wants to change it but don't agree with their wording. I hope they rethink the wording. Sugggest you write them. I'm thinking this one may pass as of now.

Who cares if it's cooked with a stick burner or propane? Once it gets drowned in Blueshog, who's going to know the difference? (tongue only slightly in cheek)
Good thing I don't use Blues Hog and still win. But you're right.

Last edited:

My apologies. Not meant to slander all but only the few idiots that get drunk and try to play with fire. This relates back to an early post about drunks and propane. I think propane is safer than drunks with open fires that can be knocked over. People who get falling down drunk should stay away from the fire during the night no matter what the fuel source.

Chicken – ¾ of the people present requested a change to both white and dark meat be a requirement. Motion if we can come to a recommendation.

Can someone please tell me how many people 3/4 of the people present is?

Thanks
-Mike

It wasn't 3/4's....

If they only had 207 people that attended the banquet, I'd find it hard to say there were more than 70 people there.

How many cooks were at the rules meeting and was it a fair representation of the KCBS cooks from across the nation?

Oh HELL NO!!! In fact, I'd guess the room was 70% judges, reps and organizers and 30% cooks anyway. Once again, non-cooks making rules for cooks is bullchit!

It wasn't 3/4's....

If they only had 207 people that attended the banquet, I'd find it hard to say there were more than 70 people there.

And of those 70 or so, most were organizers, reps and judges. If we get this crap shoved down our throats, it will be one of the biggest farces KCBS has come up with yet!

Thanks for the insight.
Where did this whole chicken thing come from? I stay on top of all the hot topics and discussions on comp BBQ and this is the first time I'm hearing ANYTHING on this issue. Cook any part of the chicken you want (whole or not) and turn in 6 pieces. What's so difficult about that?

-Mike

I was at the rules meeting in Philly and I remember the chicken change being proposed by Paul Kirk. Paul said "We don't have a chicken category, we have a thigh category" He went on to say that dark and white meat should be submitted and if someone wanted to submit 6 thighs, then they would have to cook 3 whole chickens to get them. The vast majority voted this down, as others stood up and said in their part of the country, legs do fine and in others, wings hold their own.

The elimination of garnish was supported by the majority, as many said it's wasteful to throw away all that parsley and lettuce.

When the propane issue was brought up, it too was voted down.

I don't understand the complete opposite being proposed to the board.

I was at the rules meeting in Philly and I remember the chicken change proposed by Paul Kirk being rebuffed by the vast majority as well as the porposed propane. The elimination of garnish was supported by the majority. I don't understand the complete opposite being proposed to the board.

Paul outline the reasons for this in his report

Change to Rule 11

At the time of sanctioning is a bit extreme. Deposits have to be made by Dec 1 of the prior year for that years contest for sanctioning. Our contest is in September. While the turn in times have never been anything other than typical, we havent even met yet to decide ancillary categories etc....

Are all those recommendations REALLY the opposite of what the crowd in the Rules Meeting raised their hands for?
(Granted, it was a small sliver of the whole Society, but the BoD knows that... whether they are in Philly, KC, Nashville, or anywhere else the Annual Rules meeting is held.)

...having a Philly moment... would that be 'documentation without representation' ...

Back