Noon questions: Master Forge smoker

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Howdy folks! I'm hoping to get some advice. I am brand new to q...just ordered a Master Forge propane smoker. Hasn't arrived yet. Anyone here have experience with this smoker or similar cabinet style gas smokers? If so, what wood do you recommend and in what form? My wife had gotten me some wood chunks as well as wood chips (Char Broil brand Hickory). Am looking forward to trying different combinations of wood, but would appreciate suggestions for what things to try, brands that are recommended, what sizes to use for this type of smoker, and whatever other advice folks might have for someone just starting out.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce

Not familiar with it. A neighbor has a gasser cabinet cooker. He makes some good Q. He burns a lot of propane. But it gets the job done.

I have a Great Outdoors smoky mountain vertical propane smoker. I prefer small chunks in mine. I use fruitwoods for poultry/pork and either pecan or hickory for beef. Don't add a lot of wood, just a chunk or two at a time. I use wood from my property but any box store should sell chunks.
Keep an eye on waterpan. It acts like a heat sink and as it evaporates the smoker temps can climb. Also, since uninsulated, temps can fluxuate due to wind/sun etc , so just keep an eye on it.

It's a good way to get started, I have a GOSM, I don't use it so much anymore, but I had great results with it and it's a great way to learn the basic principals of smoking.

I have it and it works great! I love this smoker! I've done ribs, brisket, porkloin and turkey legs in it without a problem. I've read of guys adding gaskets to the doors and getting a more accurate thermometer. I recommend it to everyone! :thumb:
100_7351.jpg

100_7352.jpg

100_7375.jpg

100_7380.jpg

000_0630.jpg

000_0634.jpg

000_0633.jpg

as far as the wood chips or chunks...both are available at most Walmarts and from what I can tell, just as good as the ones from other stores.

Enjoy your smoker - be sure and post some pictures of your cooks.

I have a GOSM also. I chop up hickory chunks into smaller pieces and use fruit woodchips. Good suggestion about the waterpan - keep an eye on it. Have fun!

In my WSM, I no longer use water in teh water pan - I have it full of foil balls, covered with foil. No evaporation.

When I get a chance, I'll replace the balls with sand. Right now, the foil balls work well.

Thanks for the replies! And, especially thanks to che22879 for all the pron. Am ridiculously excited! Smoker isn't even here yet, and I'm giddy at the possibilities. Received Delivery of a couple Taylor thermometers yesterday, along with a couple prep pans and a pair of bear claws.

Now the big question... What to cook first?!?!

Bruce

Bruce

Thanks for the replies! And, especially thanks to che22879 for all the pron. Am ridiculously excited! Smoker isn't even here yet, and I'm giddy at the possibilities. Received Delivery of a couple Taylor thermometers yesterday, along with a couple prep pans and a pair of bear claws.

Now the big question... What to cook first?!?!

Bruce

Bruce

Well the answer would be pulled pork. That way you can try out all of your new toys.:-D:-D:-D

Had mine 2 weeks now. Made turkey legs and brisket, and both were delicious.

Back