MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
misterb
Found some matches.

Default Help a newby improve an el cheepo offset!

Hi folks I have been lurking here for a while and am trying to develop my BBQ skills and equipment.
I have a Char Griller offset that I purchased on my trip to Bean Blossom Indiana, earlier this summer. I have a few cooks under my belt with passable, but not brilliant, results.
Having trouble getting the thing up to temp and then keeping it there with any consistancy. I am seeking your advice on mods/improvments that will help my results. I have tried both lump and brickets and have been using wild black cherry and maple wood.
From what I have read here, I may need a longer exhaust, some sort of diffuser, an improved charcoal basket and better thermometers.
I have lots of tools (welders, grinders, saws, drills).
I am a clean slate, help me!

db
misterb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Do a search on the bottom of this page and you will come up with all the info you need....jsut type chargriller mods, offset mods,

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
swibirun
is one Smokin' Farker

Check out the link KidCurry73 posted in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42808

That is one of the better explanations with pictures that I have seen. I've done the stack and baffle mods and they helped tremendously.
swibirun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
btcg
Babbling Farker

Modding that will be all uphill, with probably limited results. Keep it as a practice rig. Get yourself a Weber kettle. You can buy one cheap now that it's the end of the season.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
misterb
Found some matches.

WOW lots of traffic today, posted this on this morning and already on page 2. Thanks for the input so far!

db

Old 10-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
misterb
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesant View Post
Do a search on the bottom of this page and you will come up with all the info you need....jsut type chargriller mods, offset mods,
That was easy! Found lots of great info. Thanks!

db

Old 10-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
misterb
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Modding that will be all uphill, with probably limited results. Keep it as a practice rig. Get yourself a Weber kettle. You can buy one cheap now that it's the end of the season.
I really bought this as a beginner/practice rig. I would like to build a more vertical unit, but want to understand the process first, before investing too much time in developing/manufacturing a unit with my own design ideas.

Thanks for the tips though!

best regards

db

Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

A google search will turn up all the info on CG mods you could ever want.

1. extend exhaust to grate surface with dryer vent and hose clamp
2. Flip the charcoal tray over to use as diffuser to distribute heat better
3. Build a charcoal basket out of expanded metal

I've always used lump in mine with great results. People sometimes bash on the cheap entry level smokers out of ignorance, but I have absolutely no regrets with mine. You can turn out great bbq with about anything cooker. Just because a cook has a $8000 smoker doesn't mean their end product is desirable. You have to start somewhere.
LTG is offline   Reply With Quote