MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Any suggestions for smoking a duck?

Good Morning all!

Firing up the smoker, and trying a duck for the first time. Any suggestions for timing/foiling, etc? I brined it last night in something I made up....apple juice, apple cider vinegar, water, salt, sugar, black peppercorns, a little cayenne pepper, and a bit of cinamon. Smells good so far..

But, never don't a duck....need some suggestions for timing, temp..etc. Would I do the foiling thing on this?

Thanks in advance!!

cayenne
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

UHHHh, Hey Poobah is there a critter missing from your back yard??
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 07-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #3
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry, that was just a little jab at Bash III.
Personally I've never smoked one, but somebody here has got to know something.

HEY GUYS WAKE UP!!!!
Help the Brethren out. His goose, er duck is cooking!!

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds interesting!!
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 07-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
cayenne
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlawrence
Sorry, that was just a little jab at Bash III.
Personally I've never smoked one, but somebody here has got to know something.

HEY GUYS WAKE UP!!!!
Help the Brethren out. His goose, er duck is cooking!!

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds interesting!!
Thanks for the reply...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
:-)

I found one site that only mentioned about 6+ hours....and internal temp over 170F?

Does this sound right? Do ya'll ever foil your birds? Man, thanks for that tip on ribs and butts and brisket...works like a charm...but, do you do it on birds?

C
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #5
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

I smoke duck on occaision. I like it. No real need to baste or mop due to the fat layer under the skin. Otherwise, just cook like a large chicked & test for doneness by the handshake method. Maybe a wild rice/brown rice stuffing ???

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #6
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Todd

Is it farm raised or wild?

Farm raised duck can be cooked just like chicken, same times and temps. The recipie I use is to rub the duck inside and out with olive oil, then rub with slices of orange. Sprinkle with favorite seasoning inside and out. Quarter an onion and an orange, place pieces inside cavity of duck. Tuck legs into slits in tail fat to hold it all together. Smoke like a chicken.

Wild duck needs to be done for less time. Either brine or wrap in bacon to keep moist. Wild duck does not have to be "well done" it can still be a little pink/red.

Be very careful of grease fires with farm raised duck! Only grease fire I have ever had was from doing ducks in the dera.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #7
cheez
Full Fledged Farker

I'd go with what midnight said. I've smoked duck (the farm-raised, "bought it at the grocery store" kind), and treated it pretty much like a chicken of similar size. Rubbed with preferred seasoning, and cooked along with the other meats I had going. Didn't spray or mop it, and it came out quite tasty.

New Braunfels Bandera, 22.5" WSM, Weber Ranch Kettle, 5 or 6 other Weber Kettles, Party King tailgate grill, and a modded "pizza grill" that is falling apart.

Self-proclaimed President of the Canton, OH chapter, Weber Rescue Society.
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2004, 02:29 PM   #8
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I found one site that only mentioned about 6+ hours....and internal temp over 170F?
I'm not sure I'd trust 170* on any piece of fowl, 180*-185* range for me, I don't want the little blue pill thing happening!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote