Contest Results O'Town BBQ Showdown, Ottumwa IA

Smokin' Joe

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Congrats to Ryan and his Big T'z Cru on the GC and to Gilly (I think he is Gilly T here) on the RGC.

Overall:
1 Big T'z Q Cru
2 Gilly's Barnstormin' BBQ
3 Iowa Smokey D's BBQ
4 Bubba-Q's
5 Pork Pullin Plowboys
6 Holy and Oly's BBQ
7 Pair O'Dachs BBQ & Brew
8 Spanky and the Meat Mafi
9 TippyCanoe BBQ Crew
10 E & D's BBQ

Chicken:
1 Big T'z Q Cru
2 E & D's BBQ
3 Bubba-Q's
4 Pork Pullin Plowboys
5 Iowa Smokey D's BBQ
6 Spanky and the Meat Mafi
7 Gilly's Barnstormin' BBQ
8 Beach Body BBQ
9 TippyCanoe BBQ Crew
10 Pair O'Dachs BBQ & Brew

Ribs:
1 Gilly's Barnstormin' BBQ
2 Pork Pullin Plowboys
3 Big T'z Q Cru
4 Bubba-Q's
5 TippyCanoe BBQ Crew
6 Holy and Oly's BBQ
7 Spanky and the Meat Mafi
8 Pair O'Dachs BBQ & Brew
9 Ponderosa BBQ
10 Rollin Smoke BBQ SD

Pork:
1 Iowa Smokey D's BBQ
2 Pair O'Dachs BBQ & Brew
3 Beach Body BBQ
4 Tick Ridge Smokers
5 Big T'z Q Cru
6 Gilly's Barnstormin' BBQ
7 Pig Newton
8 Holy and Oly's BBQ
9 Rollin Smoke BBQ SD
10 E & D's BBQ

Brisket:
1 Jumpin' Jim's BBQ
2 Spitfire
3 Gilly's Barnstormin' BBQ
4 Big T'z Q Cru
5 TippyCanoe BBQ Crew
6 Holy and Oly's BBQ
7 Iowa Smokey D's BBQ
8 Ponderosa BBQ
9 Pig Newton
10 Spanky and the Meat Mafi

Last edited:
It was a great weekend despite the weather. The worst ribs I've ever tasted finished 5th and some of the best pork I've ever made finished 18th:crazy:, I guess the BBQ gods and I are even in the end:becky:

It was a great weekend despite the weather. The worst ribs I've ever tasted finished 5th and some of the best pork I've ever made finished 18th:crazy:, I guess the BBQ gods and I are even in the end:becky:

I hate it when that happens :)

Congrats to Ryan and Gilly and all who walked!

Thanks Ray! Felt good to finally get a call this time!
This could be a really great contest if they'd lower the fees and get more teams there!
We had a great time there and it was good to compete with some good teams and get those calls.
I also learned to NOT let Joe hold the last bottle of nectar!
That was a sad moment for sure Joe!

That was not a good moment:redface: No wonder Ryan won, his site was blessed with an entire bottle of Gentleman Jack:doh:

Last edited:
Congrats to the Brethren that walked!

Good showing all.
Dam there's alot of great teams in my neck of the contest woods.....
Ed

Last edited:
Nice work Ryan! Great to see so many of you guys in the top 10...congrats!!

Thanks Ray! Felt good to finally get a call this time!
This could be a really great contest if they'd lower the fees and get more teams there!
We had a great time there and it was good to compete with some good teams and get those calls.
That was a sad moment for sure Joe!
Congrats to everyone.

Mike, Sounds like Jumpin Jim wants to do something with his contest next year (LPQue 3) and this contest to get a combined prize. Hopefully that will get the entry fee down. That is the only reason we don't attend this one.

I agree. This was definately a comp that focused on the needs of the cooks! It was fun to finally get a spot next to so many Brethren as well!!

BTW, Mike is quite the environmentalist. His committmenmt to recycling rain water would make Al Gore proud :heh:

congrats Ryan and to all other brothers! Well Done!

Glad you are even with the gods, apparently they did not like us. Me and Bubba put out some of the best turnins that we have done and did not get one call. The pork was better I think than what he took first in at Valley Junction and it came in at 18th. You edged us out at 17th BTW. I guess that is the way it goes sometimes.

Big Mike

Congrats to all. Thats a pretty solid group of teams in the top ten overall.

What an awesome weekend! Haven't had that much fun at a contest since the Qlossal last year. Joe my heart sank when you dropped that bottle of GJ, luckily though, I had an ice cold one in my freezer so we could still celebrate your big win in Owatonna appropriately!

Congrats to all Brethren you heard their name called! And special congrats to Monty and Spanky for cracking the top 10!!!

Back