• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My comment card

Dan - 3eyzbbq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Got a first place rib call yesterday in Middletown, DE :-D

And a comment card for those ribs:

"Too much sauce - looked like artificial food" scores 4/5/6"

Just HAD to share with you all :tsk::confused:

Not sure how too much sauce would impact tenderness.

Thankfully, it looks like 5 others judges disagreed with that judge's assessment.:wink:

We had a card yesterday also said the ribs were too salty...I cant figure how the judge found the salt thru the layer of honey that is so sweet I cant eat it?

Heard last night about a comment card awhile back on ribs that said "Tasted too much like pork". Sometimes ya just gotta wonder why all judges can't be like Dave Compton! LOL!

Dan give that card back with a note. "this is how 1st place ribs look" :thumb:

wow, scored down on something so perfect it looked artificial...thats...interesting.
congrats on making perfect food! now, let me see the &*(7^*ING PIC!!!!!

Congrats on the call Dan.

Was the comment card from Judge #5? Personally, I can't stand judge # 5.:mad2:

So after you saw the card did you go to the rep and ask for his opinion? All comment cards go staight to the rep and he/she should have had an issue with that comment and talked to the offending judge and admonished him for being stupid!!
The rep then should have offered his apoligys and reported to you what was done to remidy this in the future. If none of that happened then the process did not work as it should have.
Ed

I'm fairly new to BBQ judging; I've judged three comps so far this year. On chicken, in my opinion, I think some cooks might take uniformity and manipulation of the natural shape of the meat a bit too far. One box at the last competition I judged, a box contained six chicken thighs which, to me, because of their precise identical shape and size, and obviously some molding, they looked like processed chicken of some sort you might get from the Swhann Man as opposed to natrual thighs i would expect to get at the supermarket, a family BBQ, or a resturant. I judge the meat's apprearence based on how much I want to take a bite just by looking at it, and if it doesn't look like a natural chicken shape, its not as appealing to me. Some effort at uniformity, triming, and such is obviously necessary, but I think it can be taken too far and make the meat look unnatrual.

And I realize this is just my opinion, but I want a box of chicken thighs to look like what they're supposed to be, chicken thighs, not like a box of giant processed chicken nuggets. I still gave the chicken an 8 in appearance because the meat was nicely arranged in the box, a lot of effort was made to put together a nice looking box, and the meat appeared to have great color and glaze, but I was turned off because of the overly manipulated appearance of the meat. I'd be interested in thoughts and comments about that. Maybe I should reconsider my thinking, and I'm open to ideas on the topic.

I know a lot, lot of work goes into making the chicken look uniform, but can uniformity be taken too far? Just throwing that out there for thoughts.

Mabye a bit off topic, since the original post is about ribs.

Last edited:
I sure hope the Table Captain took spoke to the judge who put that down. Obviously they had a huge variance from the other 5 judges.

...then again, maybe they WERE the table captain!:shock:

Gotta love it...

This time we put the center section of wings in the box along with our thighs... Got back a card "The wing didn't help"... Score from the judge... 9/8/8...

I guessing it didn't hurt either.... lol

So after you saw the card did you go to the rep and ask for his opinion? All comment cards go staight to the rep and he/she should have had an issue with that comment and talked to the offending judge and admonished him for being stupid!!
The rep then should have offered his apoligys and reported to you what was done to remidy this in the future. If none of that happened then the process did not work as it should have.
Ed

Yes, I did talk to the rep - immediately. The response I'll keep to myself, but I was happy with it.

Back