MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #61
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Default April BOD podcast and some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
Well, since I'm stuck at home after surgery I decided to actually sit through the complete podcast. Bunny
No surgery but I did listen today. Can't wait to hear this months. And wasn't that a pretty long executive session?

1. It amazes me that the BOD allows a contractor to have full access to talk and argue with BOD members. I've never seen this with any organization I've been a part of.

2. I think MMA is doing a great job for the KCBS and is producing a strong revenue stream. That the KCBS can get a deal with SAMS is wonderful. Not sure why the announcement was so secret when the April BOD meeting talked about and around many details and was posted on-line on 4-16. And it's obvious that the presentation by MMA to the BOD included numbers for KCBS revenue in excess of $200,000 per year after the first year or they wouldn't have discussed both a hard number of $50k and a 25% number, Need to listen to the discussion before and after the executive session and I think you'll see what I mean. And that's just net revenue they were talking about.

3. Obviously some members want the KCBS to be run as a not for profit business using all the attendant rules and others like the idea of a small association with loose rules and no need to follow procedure. And it's obvious that there's no compromise on any side. It's maybe a bad thing that BOD members are not all in the room together. Some things probably would not be said in the same room that are said on the phone.

4. Sounds more and more like the idea of not voting for any incumbent or individual that has been on the BOD in the last few years is a good idea. (posted here earlier).

5. IMHO the KCBS as it exists is in it's death throws. We're too big, money is getting too big. There's tremendous opportunity for growth but to capitalize on many opportunities it will take a for profit business mentality and decision making structure. I hope I'm wrong but I think somebody is going to figure out how to take control with a buyout or whatever - have no idea how it could work but I think it will happen.
Thanks from: --->

Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #62
stan
is one Smokin' Farker

Jeff I agree we still must support our organization. Everyone has to make there own decision on whether by not renewing their membership will force the board to stop the fighting and attitudes! If enough do it I would say they would have to look at it but I don't think enough people will do it to make a big enough impact. Like Jorge I think we must change it through the elections! My 2 cents!
stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #63
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeBBQueen View Post
I just renewed ...not sure what I'll do next year.
Ditto, I just renewed Tuesday. WTF???

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #64
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Guys, please don't give up on our organization. Remember, it is OUR organization. When you give up on it, it is no longer ours. During my campaign, I continually pointed out that the in-fighting and bickering HAS to stop! In addition to that, what has to be put to an end are the bad attitudes, the self-serving agendas and the "axe to grind" personalities. That won't happen until we have REAL term limits. When a problem arises, how does it help us to have the problem person sit out one term then re-run for a seat? The problem keeps on coming back. My belief is we extend to three terms of three years each and that's IT. Done. Forever. No running again in the future! We as competitors operate under a spirit of cooperation and helping our fellow competitors. So why do we continue to look away while some of the leaders of the very same organization act completely opposite and AGAINST the very reason the organization was founded?
Jeff has it right. Walking away is the absolute last protest you want to use, because you have NOTHING you can follow up with. Success, accompanied by comparative wealth, always causes trouble in a service organization. You need to make sure the directors are taking the organization in the direction the membership wants it to go. That requires staying and voting and participating.

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #65
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Has anyone considered that a majority of the members of KCBS do NOT frequent forums and are oblivious to the day-to-day items that occur? Their only source of news from KCBS is the “Bull Sheet.” If one must convey a message to the masses, it MUST be via the “Bull Sheet” or other media and if they let you take out an ad addressing these items and inviting the members to participate, it will fall on deaf ears. I cannot remember the last time I looked at one of the ads in the “Bull Sheet” and the only reason I go to the website is to look at upcoming events or check that my name was spelled right in the results.

Our, and I consider myself a breathern, goal should be to quit offering out a litany of problems but instead offering out a litany of solutions. If this means buying a mailing list of all KCBS members and doing mass MARKETING, then put me down for a share of the cost. You will notice that I used the term marketing and not complaining! I firmly believe that you are either a part of the problem or part of the solution. I for one wish to be a part of the solution and withholding my membership dues would nullify any and all things that I had to say as I would be an OUTSIDER looking in with ABSOLUTLY no say.

I’m off my very short (fits my stature) soap box and please forgive me if I offended or struck too close to home.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #66
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I will miss Linda and Jerry as well. When I got my 680 at Oink last year, they were almost more excited about it than I was... #1 - I didnt even get to my score sheets, before they shared that tidbit... #2... they were so excited, because it was a score that had not been seen in a KCBS event out there in what I believe she said was several years. They are all about expanding BBQ in the NE. Thier dedication to BBQ and the contestants was top notch. I cooked for the Placid Judges class last year also, and they were great to work with on that effort as well. Thanks Linda and Jerry!!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #67
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Guys, please don't give up on our organization. Remember, it is OUR organization. When you give up on it, it is no longer ours. During my campaign, I continually pointed out that the in-fighting and bickering HAS to stop! In addition to that, what has to be put to an end are the bad attitudes, the self-serving agendas and the "axe to grind" personalities. That won't happen until we have REAL term limits. When a problem arises, how does it help us to have the problem person sit out one term then re-run for a seat? The problem keeps on coming back. My belief is we extend to three terms of three years each and that's IT. Done. Forever. No running again in the future! We as competitors operate under a spirit of cooperation and helping our fellow competitors. So why do we continue to look away while some of the leaders of the very same organization act completely opposite and AGAINST the very reason the organization was founded?
Jeff,
You are exactly right. You've got our votes for sure. And that's exactly why I quoted it was good to sit out after serving on the BOD. It takes a good year just to come down and realize there's a beautiful bbq world still out there. I wouldn't run again because we have too many great candidates out there that could contribute quality ideas for our future. Rich and I sure haven't given up on KCBS and never will. Let the bickering self-destruct those who speak it, but let's not stop fighting for the goodwill of our future. We have a superb society and it will get better by helping each other stand for what is true and right.

Rich and Bunny Tuttle
KCass BBQ established 1987
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #68
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Jorge in 2011

I agree, and Scottie too...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #69
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post
I agree, and Scottie too...

Hell has not frozen over Jeff!!!!

****I also withdraw my nomination of Jorge. Something about getting heavy equipment rental for me and Todd at Shannon.
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #70
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

My understanding is that Jorge owns the "heavy equipment", though I doubt he rents or loans...

Scottie, maybe you can get your buddy Steve to run, we need some straight up common sense on the BOD...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)

Last edited by Jeff Hughes; 05-13-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #71
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

As I see it there are two options. If KCBS is "IT" then the norhteast needs to run, run hard with lots of grassroots effort. Not just one election but two or three. Get members on there and make changes.

Option two is to say we can do it better. Rival organization with the support and power of the northeast behind it. This is smacking of physicians and my situation in health care. They, both KCBS and MD's, have self dictated that they are the gold standard in their respective field. They are only the gold standard as long as we, the people, the consumers, allow them. Today we decide, is KCBS the only BBQ organization to exist to meet our needs?
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #72
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

As Yak said, "walking away" from KCBS does not neccesarily mean that you afre walking a way form your friends, your commitment to promotoing and advancing BBQ, the organization and conduction of contests, or the comraderie that is associated with those items.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #73
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Why reinvent the wheel though? There's no reason that, with proper leadership, that KCBS cannot meet the needs of everyone in all parts of the country. We, as members, just need to make it happen! And that's gonna take better than 20% voter turn-out! That was absolutely ridiculous!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #74
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with Jeff. The organization, and infrastructure is there. IF the membership will make it clear that we require a change, and vote accordingly there is no need to start from the ground up.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #75
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

On a level of how does this entire thing really affect you???????? Me, it doesn't. I use the KCBS for what it is. It is a governing body of BBQ comps, thats all. To get all worked up about stuff that goes on in a board room about stuff that will not tamper with your personal life is stupid. I am not sure why anyone would even want to be on the board, you will never make everyone happy and all you will do is make more enemies then friends. My take on the entire thing is let them do what they do and continue on with your life. There were BBQ comps before the KCBS and there will be after if something were to happen. Stick with BBQ for what it is, not for politics and nonsense.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote