MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Default How long of burns are you getting with one load of charcoal in green egg?

Granted it got down to about zero last night, but I couldnt get 12 hours on one load. Woke up this morning and the temp was about 190 and I couldnt get it back up. Checked an all the coal is basically gone. Finishing the Butt in the oven.
This is the second time I tried an overnight cook and failed, both times it was cold out though.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
gtsum
Babbling Farker

cold temps have an effect, but it should not matter that much...certainly not to the point of not being able to finish an overnight but..what kind of charcoal are you using?
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Cowboy

Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
f308gt4
On the road to being a farker

I've noticed I'm using a bit more coal than I was expected to believe with my new egg. I used a 10 lb bag of lump in 4 cooks.

By the end of my last cook yesterday, there wasn't much left in the egg.

I'm in SoCal, so it's not the temperature here. I do notice that I have my vents open a bit more than some of the photos I've seen, so maybe that is part of it (vents open more, more burning?). I don't appear to have any air leaks, gasket seems to be tight all around the egg.

Sorry I can't help, but I was wondering the same thing as you.

(On edit- I noticed you are using Cowboy Lump- I'm using the Royal Oak brand from Walmart, which is supposed to be the same thing as the BGE brand charcoal).
f308gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

If you are using lump you should break up the big pieces and make sure its fairly tight. This is really important for an UDS. For the guys that are new- when adding lump its better to move your lit coals to one side and put the new in beside the lit. When you dump it on top you can end up with a temp spike that is hard to control.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
cbagby64
Full Fledged Farker

What size egg and what temp were you cooking at? I have an XL and can usually do a 12 hour cook and have about 1/3 of the charcoal left(cooking at 250). I did notice on Friday night that I burned a little more lump than normal but still had more than a 1/4 left.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
gtsum
Babbling Farker

for me, cowboy does not last as long as RO (I have a primo oval xl). I did a 9 hour cook yesterday in 17 degree weather with blowing snow (with a cyberqii) and I have about 50% of my lump left. How are you lighting your lump? For low and slows, I light a few pieces on top and then let it go and I have been having good success putting the meat on the cooker as soon as I light it (more time in the smoke ring temps...ie under 140 degrees internal meat temp). If you are lighting the entire lump pile (deep fire), that will make it go quicker...How are your vent settings?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
cbagby64
Full Fledged Farker

^^what he said on the cowboy. My experience is that cowboy burns faster and has more ash than RO.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the replies. This past summer, I used Royal Oak in my UDS, but the local hardware store doesnt carry it in the winter. So I tried Cowboy.

Finished in oven and here's my lunch.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you using the Minion method?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
kylersk
Full Fledged Farker

I'm starting the fire by filling box with charcoal. Then I take a piece of paper towel and pour some oil on it. Bunch it up and stick in center of charcoal, on top with a couple pieces of charcoal over it. Then I light it and let it burn untill I see some red coals, then close lid and wait for temp to rise.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Go to any Ace Hardware, The Big Green Egg coal is Royal Oak.

Dan

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylersk View Post
I'm starting the fire by filling box with charcoal. Then I take a piece of paper towel and pour some oil on it. Bunch it up and stick in center of charcoal, on top with a couple pieces of charcoal over it. Then I light it and let it burn untill I see some red coals, then close lid and wait for temp to rise.
that is how I light mine for grilling (gets up to grilling temps in about 10 minutes). Perhaps you are getting too many coals lit at once? I would try the minion method and see if that helps

Old 01-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
chimmike
Got Wood.

what is the minion method again? put some lit coals over unlit coals?
chimmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
gtsum
Babbling Farker

correct