pepperoni pizza

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

i figured out why i don't put pepperoni on my pizzas... too much grease! i had to blot the excess grease with paper towels.

twopizzas-004.jpg

twopizzas-005.jpg

twopizzas-011.jpg

Great looking pie though. My wife insists on pepperoni so I know what you mean about the grease.

We dice ours... Get the flavor...not as much grease

i'm wondering if different pepperonis have different fat contents like hamburger. now that i say that, i'm sure they do. this was boar's head.

I microwave them for less than a minute wrapped in paper towels to soak up the grease. Not enough to really cook them, just enough to get the grease out. And man can there be a lot of it!!

Sounds to me like it's time to make some of your own. In all the years of making home made sausage, pepperoni is one sausage I have not made, but I've sampled plenty. You will be able to control the seasonings and fattiness and put it exactly where you want it.

Pepperoni is something like a 70/30 or 60/40 pork/beef ratio, which is what I've used on wild game sausage. Actually, I make all my sausages leaner than the store bought ones. Just doing the easy trimming on your pork butts is usually all it takes. The commercial makers keep fat on the high side for moistness and flavor (and to increase volume), so when you reduce the fat by trimming your meat closer than they do you have to adjust your seasonings, usually a little stronger. You also have to add some water or beer before stuffing too.

Damn that looks good. I've never tried boar's head pepperoni, but I will now. I usually add chopped tomatoes to my grilled pizzas, so I always end up having to blot my pizzas with paper towels when they release their moisture. Awesome work as usual RTD!

I microwave them for less than a minute wrapped in paper towels to soak up the grease. Not enough to really cook them, just enough to get the grease out. And man can there be a lot of it!!

That's a trick Mrs ~t~ does even with my home made bulk Italian sausage, which is lower in fat than store bought stuff.

whoa, whoa, whoa! i just started using fresh pizza dough and now you want me to make my own pepperoni? hahaha

things are moving way too fast here :biggrin:

Your past pizza pron is what convinced me that I needed an egg, and pepperoni is my favorite! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap Now I just need to get a setter and stone. Nice pron!

Damn that looks good. I've never tried boar's head pepperoni, but I will now. I usually add chopped tomatoes to my grilled pizzas, so I always end up having to blot my pizzas with paper towels when they release their moisture. Awesome work as usual RTD!

i was at the fancy grocery with the neighbor and his boy getting the pizza ingredients and i said, i'll make one with pepperoni this time. he says "i have pepperoni". i say "not THIS kind!" :biggrin:

one of the problems with the pepperoni and fresh mozzarella is the amount of moisture added on top of the dough. i think i'll try grating some aged mozzarella next time ...

No, no no.....moving too fast would be putting in a hog pen in the back yard.

I love boars head pepperoni! With Gallo dry salami, a bit of smoked ham & some pepperjack cheese you can have a sandwich to die for... As for the too much grease thing, well, I love Chorizo and that has about the most grease of any meat I've ever had. I don't eat it everyday, but I do eat it!

thanks for the comments! :biggrin:

i made two pizzas last night, the first one had white pizza crust, this one had sprouted wheat crust

twopizzas-014.jpg

I love boars head pepperoni! With Gallo dry salami, a bit of smoked ham & some pepperjack cheese you can have a sandwich to die for... As for the too much grease thing, well, I love Chorizo and that has about the most grease of any meat I've ever had. I don't eat it everyday, but I do eat it!

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you can make your own Chorizo, since it's a bulk sausage, it's about as hard as making meatloaf. This is a perfect sausage to cut back a little on the fat with, since most of the ones I've tried are way fatty. Let me search my notes for the recipe....I had this guy I know help me with the flavor, color and what he calls the bleed. He was born in Mexico and he and his brother both own Mexican restaurants.

EDIT - I sent you a PM with the recipe.

Last edited:
Wow, the real problem is that the grease is going to soak into the packaging when you send me a slice.:rolleyes:

Great looking Pizza Rick!!!

If you fry the pepperoni just enough to get it a touch crispy it has a different texture when the pizza is done.

No, no no.....moving too fast would be putting in a hog pen in the back yard.

:lol::lol::lol:...you'll make a farmer out of him yet bro! :p

Nice lookin' pie Rick. We blot here too. I may do a couple this weekend myself...but I'm leaning toward Papa Murphy's dough and my sauce. Me and fresh pizza dough do not get along...:roll:

Back