MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Weber rehab question

So I am trying to track down an ash catcher for a weber performer and having no luck. So my thoughts are what could I use to make this happen? I was thinking a coffee can but I need it to be like 9 3/4" across and that would be a huge coffee can. Does anybody have any suggestions for something similar in make up that I could use?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just go to Orchard Hardware and buy one.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

umm, i think you need to call weber. yer not talking abot the disc, right ?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
swamprb

Take a look at the schematic of the Performer Tn'G that I posted in your original thread. What is the diagram # of the exact part you are looking for? Call Weber CS and have the schematic handy to help the person determine what part you need. You will need the date code on the lid vent to help CS. I replaced the One Touch vent on mine and the whole ash can assembly is held together by a brace and the vent handle and rests on the leg sockets. I've ordered the ash can for a Master-Touch before and it was the same as the Performer. People have modded a OTSilver with an assembly for an OTGold, but to me it seems like a waste of money.
The more info you have on your model will help CS. If you can get it done here go the tvwbb and search the charcoal grill thread.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
PFSmith
Got Wood.

When I rehabbed my 1991 model performer, Weber was out of the "Old Style" ash catcher ring - the one that used a metal bar to attach the ash catcher ring to the bottom of the grill. So, I ordered the "new" model - the one that uses tabs that insert into slots cut into the top of the leg stubs on the performer. When it came, I just used a Dremmel tool to cut the slots into the leg stubs, then popped the "tabs" into the "slots" and I was all set to use the new ash catcher ring, ash catcher and handle, all of which were readily available from Weber.

I had to wait a while on the ring since Weber was out when I ordered it so in the meantime, I went to Lowes and bought a metal paint bucket and sat it under the one touch system so the ashes could drop into it. I tried a couple of "charcoal" or "ash" buckets that I had here at the house but they were too tall to sit on the rack underneath the bottom of the grill.

If you want an "authentic" fix, call Weber; if you want a "cheap fix" go to Lowes. FYI I posted a request on the Weber Virtual Bullet asking if somebody had an ash catcher to sell but got no responses.

Pat
PFSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
swamprb

Here is a creative use of galvanized pails for ash catchers!

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Galvanized pails... PERFECT. Those are easily accesable and it should work just great. Yet again the brethren come through with their vast amount of wisdom and creativity.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
mbshop
Babbling Farker

love that pail idea !

Old 04-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Now I now how to effectively rehab those two OTGs sitting out by the garden shed. I could source (or build) the vent parts, but really didn't want to put the low-rider ash pans on them.

Off to the local hardware store to fetch a couple of pails...
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
BBQPETE
Knows what a fatty is.

Call weber i got alot of new parts that were under warranty and the ash catcher was one of them.All i had to do was register them saved $125.00.I said i had them for two years.
BBQPETE is offline   Reply With Quote