Team of the Year Idea - What do you think?

ThomEmery

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was going to use this idea as part of my campaign for the BoD this coming Winter.
But I am told that change in the ToY system maybe happening soon.

The KCBS ToY in place now works, really works well for the top 50 teams or so
It should be left alone as a KCBS National ToY

Now there are the other teams that are not for
whatever reason apart of that top 50 group.
They just cant cook 20 contests.
What can we do that would give them a ToY race
that they realistically have a chance of winning?

What if there was a Regional Series where teams are cooking against Folks they know and see through out the year? If we had 4 or 5 Regional Races The East, The West, The South
The Midwest maybe one more For the Great Lakes area. Cooks could declare for these Regional Races based on a Best 5 results.

Now we need to make the Regions large so we don't step on the toes of the State and Regional Associations that are in place now and such a important part of BBQ

The first year Top Ten Teams would at the very least be featured in the Bull-sheet and on the website. This would seem a possible program to sell "The Kingsford KCBS Regional Championships" sounds nice... But with the economy dragging that may not happen this year
If we did have a sponsor Nice Trophies at the Annual Meeting would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't sound like a bad idea, though I don't think the good ol' boy network would care for it.

If KCBS is moving to regional representation, why not team regional.....always appreciate your input......

Would your idea be based on where a team/head cook lives or where the contests are held ?

Ex. A team in NY may choose to compete in six contests in a year... Two in NY, two in New England area and then two down in Mid-Atlantic... Would they now be excluded becuase they would potentially not meet the min requirements for contests in one geographic region ?

Would your idea be based on where a team/head cook lives or where the contests are held ?

Ex. A team in NY may choose to compete in six contests in a year... Two in NY, two in New England area and then two down in Mid-Atlantic... Would they now be excluded becuase they would potentially not meet the min requirements for contests in one geographic region ?

It could be done many ways
I would be in favor of address of record for the Head Cook being his region
All the contest locations you mentioned would probably be in the Eastern Region

If KCBS is moving to regional representation, why not team regional.....always appreciate your input......

The BoD did not seem inclined to return to the Regional Seats discussion for its own make up. With the Election of Gene G it has been proven the organization open to those outside the South and Midwest

Could they do TOY for 10 and fewer, 11-20, 21 or more contests?

I was thinking this Regional ToY would be back to the Best 5 contests

Regional KCBS ToY Races

I was going to use this idea as part of my campaign for the BoD this coming Winter.
But I am told that change in the ToY system maybe happening soon.

The KCBS ToY in place now works, really works well for the top 50 teams or so
It should be left alone as a KCBS National ToY

Now there are the other teams that are not for
whatever reason apart of that top 50 group.
They just cant cook 20 contests.
What can we do that would give them a ToY race
that they realistically have a chance of winning?

What if there was a Regional Series where teams are cooking against Folks they know and see through out the year? If we had 4 or 5 Regional Races The East, The West, The South
The Midwest maybe one more For the Great Lakes area. Cooks could declare for these Regional Races based on a Best 5 results.

Now we need to make the Regions large so we don't step on the toes of the State and Regional Associations that are in place now and such a important part of BBQ

The first year Top Ten Teams would at the very least be featured in the Bull-sheet and on the website. This would seem a possible program to sell "The Kingsford KCBS Regional Championships" sounds nice... But with the economy dragging that may not happen this year
If we did have a sponsor Nice Trophies at the Annual Meeting would be great.

This Regional Race concept was a subject of discussion at the Mesquite Organizers Roundtable.
There was strong support for this being funded by host events that choose to participate.
Costs would be based on number of teams attending. To create a prize and award fund.

That is still in place Best Ten ToY
I am talking about a additional race that teams could opt for rather than
the National ToY

Something I've learned this year in making whatever run on this that we have - it is farking HARD to accomplish! And I don't mean just that you have to be good... you have to have the cash, stamina, time off, a ton of luck and so forth to really stand a chance. It's coming down to being basically two months left in the season (outside of a handful in November and December) and we are physically spent! We're still OK on the cash side of things but the enjoyment is fading as we get more tired of the work it takes, not just Friday and Saturday but all week. We got home last night from a comp and spent a lot of today already prepping for next weekend. I'll have a lot of work and running around to do just to be ready for another 36 hour event next weekend. It's been that way all summer. We've had about three weekends off from competitions since mid-May. I'm not complaining at all! We've gotten ourselves into this and we've done it just well enough that we can't stop now. We made all the choices and we've enjoyed the experience and wouldn't trade it for the world. I doubt, though, that we'll be doing anything like this again any year soon!

My point in all of this is basically that my belief is Team of the Year SHOULD go to a team that can show that they can consistently do well over the brutal nine month season cooking all those contests. Remember, it won't be us trying next year and I'm fine with that. My hat is off to Rod, Mike, John, Rob and all the others who are able to consistently do what it takes to have a shot at team of the Year! We now have a much greater appreciation for what it actually takes to accomplish that goal. I would be in favor of recognition in some way for all the thousands of teams out there who can cook only 10 or 12 contests a year (I'm one of those in that level too in any normal season) and who do well in those contests but I would like to see the main Team of the Year race stay the same as it is right now with the exception of us being on the sideline watching again! LOL!

Yes I agree the National KCBS ToY should remain as is
It is working very well for the professional level teams
All teams would "declare" for either the National or Regional ToYs
in Jan or upon joining

Wow, that sounds a lot like a job...

That's a perfect way to put it. It absolutely is a second job. Counting time actually at the contest, I would estimate about 38 hours all week. I bet some folks put in even more.

Thom, the only problem I see with declaring one or the other is that at the beginning of the year, you might not know. As an example, when this season started, I was unemployed and money was tight. The plan was to cook about seven contests this year. We started doing fairly well and winning a little money and one thing led to another. All of a sudden, it's September and we're getting ready for contest #19 with four more to go after that and maybe five. I would say it wouldn't be fair to teams in that situation if things went well and suddenly they had the cash and time to do more and weren't allowed to accomplish whatever they could.

Good point Jeff
Hummmm I wonder if moving up to the National but not down should be allowed

I agree with Jeff on how much work it is. I plan to cook aroung 45 weekends next year although most will be vending. It's hard work there but the prep and cleanup work adds so much each week. And it's harder work than the actual contest. Those that cook 25+ a year deserve some recognition but I'm not real happy about the KCBS giving away money to them other than a small stipend. As stated earlier there are less than 50 teams in this race and 13000+ members.

Ford The National ToY Top Ten Teams should be awarded something special in the way of awards both in trophy and in $ I am sure you would agree.
Someone is going to form a "team" with 3 or 4 head cooks that live in separate parts of the country, compete every available date and win ToY without breaking a sweat

meh. It doesnt really inspire me or anything. Unless the contests are separate for the regional teams and the national teams, I dont think that splitting up the points makes any sense. It creates an even bigger mess for calculating the TOY points, which they dont do satisfactorily yet. I would say they should actually just stick with the current format until they can actually do it right, then they should talk about changes. Until they can put out every point and every team from day one through an entire year with it updated every week, they dont need to worry about making more TOY races, or changes the formula.

I would be more in favor of limited national spots and having to earn your tour card.

Back