MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Steve_M9
Full Fledged Farker

Default For better or worse...

the darling wife came home with some BBQ today. I almost felt insulted. She works in a doctor's office and it was catered and this was left over so I forgave her (really had no other option). Question is this....

Do you ever eat BBQ at a restaurant on purpose?

Does it taste good to you?

Does it all seem the same?

Isn't yours always better?

I have conditioned my family to answer 'No..Yes...YES!'

Thoughts on eating (away from home) out?
Steve_M9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

I still eat out at some of the different restaurants. It is hard not to try to judge. In fact I posted a comment about that a couple days ago. I think the term I saw on here when I first signed up was "BBQ snob". Some times they do things well, sometimes it is just ok. I like to try to buy the rubs and sauces and play with them at home. It is kind of fun and usually bbq is like pizza, really hard to mess it up too bad. I really have made some messes, but everyone still seems to eat it.

larry

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

When we travel, we do go to BBQ restaurants, and often we are disappointed, especially if we've just judged a comp or recently done a nice cook at home. Seems like restaurants have to cook for the masses, who think Tony Roma's is the bomb when it comes to ribs. Most times, I know we could do better at home, sides and all.

OK, I'm an official BBQ snob...

Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

It is very rare to get better 'cue than I cook when I eat out, but I must admit, it can be done. The most obvious example so far was in Lockhart, Texas at Kreuz's, Black's and Smitty's where all three far exceeded any brisket I have judged or cooked myself.

Generally speaking, I am most always disappointed when I eat 'cue out, but hope springs eternal.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

We never do it. Always disappointed.
I have been to Kreuz's which was an awesome experience and the food was good, but not awesome. Around KC I will try anything once and usually it's not worth going back. The few that are good are Oklahoma Joe's, Jones and Smokin' Guns.

That said...your wife brought home free grub. You can't beat that. I got a few gift cards from Famous Dave's at work a few years ago...we used all them up. The fries were good.
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I have onlyt tried a few BBQ Places and have always been disappointed
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

I go to BBQ joints every so often and enjoy most I have been to.
Is the BBQ better than mine? No way. But I'm not cooking for the masses and trying to make a profit doing so.
You have to take them for what they are, and judge them on that.

BTW: my wife doesn't want to eat BBQ, steak, fish, or about anything else out because I cook better food than most restaurants we go to. If I made cakes... I don't think we woud ever eat out. LOL
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I rarely go out to eat BBQ, not because I don't want to try restaurant BBQ but because I eat so much at home that when I go out to eat - I want something else.

When I do eat BBQ out, sometimes I like it more then my own, sometimes as much as my own and sometimes not as much. But regardless, as a cook I enjoy trying other BBQ - good or bad.

When we get BBQ catered at work, you bet I eat up - it's generally OK Joes!
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Saulnier
Got Wood.

Nothing wrong with free BBQ. Your wife brought it home. You sir are living
"The High Life"

We eat BBQ out on many occasions. I even made friends with the regional managers of a new chain in the area. I got them to come out and experience the Houston Rodeo Cook-Off last year. They cooked at their store untill 8:00 pm and camoe out to the cook-off at about 9:00 pm. They had never been to a cook-off with that many teams and had a blast. We talk shop every now and then. Yes they have to cook for the masses while we get to focus on one or two pieces of meat. They do know alot of the science about BBQ though and food safety, which we can all use.
Funny thing is when they are at home on their days off they will fire up the Bandera or Klose just as like any of us. Now if I coould just get them to try a UDS......

Saulnier

Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

We eat BBQ out, but only at non-chain (or small chain) restaurants or roadside stands. My family is also conditioned to say mine is better. I think they are afraid that I will stop if I ever get a different answer...
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Brauma

I am a BBQ snob and proud of it. There is only two BBQ joints in all of central VA that I will eat at anymore. Most of the time I just eat my own. Nothing wrong with that. Now that I know the difference between good low & slow and cheap sauced-down crock pot BBQ, I have become very choosy.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M9 View Post
the darling wife came home with some BBQ today. I almost felt insulted. She works in a doctor's office and it was catered and this was left over so I forgave her (really had no other option). Question is this....

Do you ever eat BBQ at a restaurant on purpose? Yes

Does it taste good to you? Yes

Does it all seem the same? NO

Isn't yours always better? No

I have conditioned my family to answer 'No..Yes...YES!'

Thoughts on eating (away from home) out?
Choose wisely, Obi Wan, and look for the dumpier spots.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
LakeLBJ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have the fortune to live in central Texas, so I am a bit spoiled - Lockhart, Llano, Driftwood are all within an hour's drive or so of my house so yes I do eat BBQ out. Austin, on the other hand, is sadly lacking decent Q. Having said all that, the best ribs and pork butt I've ever had has come off my buddy's Bandera smoker. I've never had one of his briskets, so I'll have to say Coopers Old Time BBQ in Llano takes the prize. Hopefully, when I save up for and purchase my Big Green Egg this Spring, I'll be able to knock him off the podium.
LakeLBJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
bigabyte

Mines always better but I enjoy going to the good Q joints around here every so often.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #15
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

While reading this post I realized that I have been a bbq snob for years, while I do eat bbq out I have spent years thinking that it is incredibly rare to get good bbq at any restaurant that I have been to, the exceptions around here also almost seem more like an accident than thats how they do things. This is actually what has led me to explore doing more q was I knew that if I could perfect it I would be guaranteed good q any time I wanted it.