Lake Tawakoni Catfish Cookoff

Great Looking Grub there, Tony!

I had "all you can eat buffet catfish" on Fri.
Didn't look Nuttin' like your works of art. :oops:

Thanks,

TIM

Good Job Tony !! Thanks for the Good Lookin pRon !!! and Congrats on 6th.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Looks good.....wish I was there:biggrin:

I don't see any "Blackened."
Nothing beats a catfish packed with Paul Prudommes and tossed in a white hot skillet.

Across the board, bottom-feeders are the best eatin' out there. Love catfish.

We had four different turn in's. Shrimp Creole, Gumbo, Fried and one with a sauce that would be good on Anything...! This was the one that got Tony 6th. It was so good, I wish I had some today... Good Job Tony. It was a great day had by all. But we are back to BBQ this coming weekend.

Deez, Tony, great job! congratualtions!
It looks good and looks like you guys had a lot of fun!
Thanks again for all your help!

Roy

Ok, I wanted to follow up on this post. The catfish cookoff was great. Melissa took a bunch of great pictures, as usual. We left the house at 7AM and fought a little traffic during the 1-1/2 hour drive to the lake. There was a cook's meeting at 10AM and the first and only turn-in was adjusted from 11AM to 11:30AM by the Mayor/FireChief/Head of Chamber of Commerce/head cook and bottle washer... honestly, I think the guy wore a lot of hats.

We turned in four different entries. (Check out the pictures and you will see the differences.) All of them tasted great. One was Blackened Catfish with Etouffe sauce. It had crab meat, seared scallops to go with the heavy creme and butter...can't forget the cayenne. That one got the 6th place. Another was blackened with a shrimp creole topping. One of my favorites but tomatoes and peppers can maybe not appeal to everyone. Another was with a emmulsified gumbo sauce. Very tasty indeed, I liked this gumbo better than what we had the last time in Terrell. Then the final was two giant filets that were breaded with some spiced bread crumbs. Based on having tasted this entry and knowing that a fried catfish won....I can't believe that someone else's entry could have tasted better. Eric marinaded the filets in buttermilk which left them with a very clean taste and nice flaky appearance. I didn't look at all the top finishers but know that 1st and 3rd where both fried filets. I also know that last year fried won too.

We also got to see the catfish weigh-ins from the anglers. That was fun too. After they weighed in the catfish they tossed them in a huge plastic stock tank. Folks lined up to get splashed by those fish. I sorta realized right then and there that we were a few miles off the beaten track.

There were about 25 entries grand prize was $1000, followed by $500, $250, $150 and $20 to round out the top five sots. The entry fee was only $20. Not sure where the prize money came from but some fortunate souls are that much happier now.

I look forward to aprticipating again next year. It was a great time and it was not as hectic as BBQ but then again, it wasn't as fun either because I didn't know all of the teams.

Back