MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #6541
zdogk9
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

oops.
zdogk9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #6542
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I found this forum looking for a How To for a UDS and THANK YOU! Got my barrel Friday and burned it out Sunday...I think. I just want to be sure that the color of the above picture is what the barrel should look like inside? I can look at pics on here, but they've of course all had multiple cooks or at least been seasoned. Mine held a washer fluid concentrate (methanol) in it's past life. I hosed it out until it ran clear before I took the cutting wheel to the top. Don't know what kind of liner if any it would have, but after a 5+hour burn the inside is a black color as when it started. The outside paint is off except in one small spot. I bought a propane Burner (weed burner) yesterday that I'm going to take to the rest of the outside tonight along with the inside (just to be safe I guess) but wanted an idea of color I should be expecting when it's good. Thanks . All that's left is to mount the grate and build the fire basket. Can't wait to throw my first piece of flesh on. My wife was not a meat eater when I met her, but through proper ordering (me telling her how to order her steaks and what not) and me cooking for her, she's realized meat can be extremely flavorful and soft like butter:D I can't wait to introduce her to the world of meat heaven.
The inside should be down to bare metal. Once you are to that point you might get some slight surface oxidation (rust) from ambient moisture in the air. However, if its still black and sooty, I would try to hose/power wash it first. If that doesnt work, take a wire wheel to it.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #6543
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

I should be doing the burn out on my drum at my Pop's place this weekend. He has got a bunch of old Oleander wood laying around that he wants to get rid of. What do you think about using this wood for the burn out, seeing as how it is supposed to be poisonous and what-not? I would also be using a couple old pallets, just using the Oleander to get rid of it.
Rover24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #6544
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdybrady View Post
not if you engage the flue from the outside then take the lid off. When your done but the lid on and disengage the flue
If you close your intakes down before removing the lid you won't have any flare ups or temp problems.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #6545
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I found this forum looking for a How To for a UDS and THANK YOU! Got my barrel Friday and burned it out Sunday...I think. I just want to be sure that the color of the above picture is what the barrel should look like inside? I can look at pics on here, but they've of course all had multiple cooks or at least been seasoned. Mine held a washer fluid concentrate (methanol) in it's past life. I hosed it out until it ran clear before I took the cutting wheel to the top. Don't know what kind of liner if any it would have, but after a 5+hour burn the inside is a black color as when it started. The outside paint is off except in one small spot. I bought a propane Burner (weed burner) yesterday that I'm going to take to the rest of the outside tonight along with the inside (just to be safe I guess) but wanted an idea of color I should be expecting when it's good. Thanks . All that's left is to mount the grate and build the fire basket. Can't wait to throw my first piece of flesh on. My wife was not a meat eater when I met her, but through proper ordering (me telling her how to order her steaks and what not) and me cooking for her, she's realized meat can be extremely flavorful and soft like butter:D I can't wait to introduce her to the world of meat heaven.
If you have any concerns with it just buy a new drum for around $60 and then you won't have to worry about it.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #6546
IrregularPulse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
If you have any concerns with it just buy a new drum for around $60 and then you won't have to worry about it.
I'm on board with the "point of a UDS is to keep it simple, cheap and do it yourself" attitude. I have no issues taking a wire wheel to it. Plan on hitting it with my new propane torch tonight to knock the rest of the outside paint off and see if that does anything to the inside. If not, a wire wheel on all thread with a power drill will be next. Picked up my stainless bolts to mount my rack as well during lunch.
Thanks.

Last edited by IrregularPulse; 08-24-2010 at 03:15 PM..
IrregularPulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #6547
Jackal
Found some matches.

I posted this on a forum I frequent and was given a link to this thread so I joined.

After two joyful, but finicky years with a Brinkmann Gourmet, I decided to build a BDS after google imaging drum smokers and finding pics of the actual BDS smokers. I started with a Chicago built (4/2010) food grade barrel. It was grey outside and tan inside. I gave it to a co-worker to cut a 12"x14" door, weld some 1/8" bar around the seam, and fab a lid / exhaust damper, and make a 1/4" round bar fire grate with 1/2" spacing. I got it back last Fri. and marked / measured all the holes for the hardware, filed them inside and out, and cut my 2"x4" intakes. I burnt it out for 10 hours over 2 days half full of cherry logs. I then installed the stainless hardware with washers, lock washers, and nuts on each side. Think I have about $350 in it so far.

The fire grate sits 2" above the actual bottom. The top rack sits 10" below the top lip. The lower rack sits 8" below the upper rack. The water pan sits 1" below the lower rack. Exhaust is 3". I finally started to season it last night. Rubbed it down with canola oil and did a 7 hr. smoke @ 275 deg. After seeing this thread I realized that my intakes were was oversized, but I did make some 6" x 6 3/4" slide plate dampers, so I kept them fully closed. I was able to adjust the temp from 240-300 just by using the exhaust damper. Keep in mind this was with a fully stoked "fire box" with MUCH more wood than I typically use. Used half cherry and half hickory. The entire outside and middle section of the inside burnt right off. The lower inside wiped right off as soon as I applied the canola oil. The upper portion isn't going anywhere and is quite blackened, and now buried in oily smoke.

Hopefully the intakes become more useful after loading up the bottom of the smoker with ash on long hauls. I typically do multiple 10 lb. shoulders, so a 14-16 hr. smoke isn't uncommon, but I use to smoke at 230 or so deg. Looks like this one will run closer to 260. I probably need to seal off the door better and will eventually have to address these oversize intakes, but I need more time to learn to run this beast first.

Does anyone use / know of a cover to keep it out of the elements? I don't care about looks, but the super thin food grade barrel doesn't inspire too much confidence when a burn barrel will only last about 2 years of VERY light use in my experience.

Thoughts / opinions?

More pics: http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/r...ckalAR/Smoker/
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #6548
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Nice rig, for sure. Let us know how you like that door.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #6549
Jackal
Found some matches.

Thanks...I think the door is a must, but I should have at least addressed the gap between the hinges. If I ever make it through this insanely monstrous thread, I might find some ideas.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #6550
Jackal
Found some matches.

What is the life expectancy of a food grade barrel and has anyone found a cover so I don't have to lug this beast around?

Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #6551
IrregularPulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Thanks...I think the door is a must, but I should have at least addressed the gap between the hinges. If I ever make it through this insanely monstrous thread, I might find some ideas.
From what I've read in this 400+ page thread, the door is more of a PITA than it is a benefit. Interested to hear about your results.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #6552
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hmm, still has the liner in it?
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #6553
Jackal
Found some matches.

Quote:
From what I've read in this 400+ page thread, the door is more of a PITA than it is a benefit. Interested to hear about your results.
Yea, I see that...but I figured the addition of the massive water pan would offset this. I never had any door related issues with my POS Brinkmann. I got some magnets today to cover the gap between hinges to see if it makes a difference. I think I would be a LOT better off if I hadn't cut the intakes out and instead used (2) 1" ball valves. I can always bolt the slide plates in and add the ball valves, but I want to get a good long smoke with food on it before making any "permanent" changes. I can see the ash really choking things down after 8+ hours.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #6554
IrregularPulse

Cool, I'm in the process of building mine still. Got my barrel, cut the top off, installed bottom intakes and burned. Built my fire ring last night. Mounting it to the base tonight. Just need to come up with an ash pan, lid and then take the wire wheel to the inside and season. Would love to have food on it next week.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #6555
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Hmm, still has the liner in it?
Jackal, you left some of the epoxy liner on the barrel?
Myself, I am at the point of removing a fine film of a rust protector,
but not sure if I would be brave enough to leave epoxy on the drum.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker