Brinkmann Professional Charcoal Grill .... any mods to better ...

Q

Q_Egg

... control / fine tune the airflow ?? Several here posted postive comments in past but mine seems slow to get rollin'. I wonder about drilling some bottom holes larger, or just adding more holes. Also, what about some sort of 'butterfly' damper cut in the top cover for the same purpose? Any thoughts, or is everyone pretty happy as is ?

Wow! coincidence. I was just logging on to ask the same question. I haven't tried mine out yet. I plan on seasoning it on Saturday and maybe using it then. Don't know how it works yet. Mine's still sitting in the front living room. I ended up getting it the other day at Sam's. It was the last one on the floor(except the floor model) and it had just been marked down to$130.00.

.... glad you responded and hopefully some experienced users will also. I really like the overall quality, the easily adjustable charcoal grate and the porcelain cooking grates. I just feel there is a need for more 'control' of the airflow from bottom to top. I have not taken time to measure and calculate the total 'inlet' area versus 'exhaust' area .... so it could be compared with other successful grills, but it still seems like there should be some ability to easily change this for specific cooks.

Thanks for your note.

Well, I haven't used mine yet but I am thinking that the heat is more an issue of volume of charcoal and level to the grate. I don't think it's really designed for long term cooking, more of a grill than a smoker. I got it becuase my BSKD just didn't have enough grill space for me to do a decent bunch of steaks. Also, I've been really wanting to do grilled Pizza and the grill surface is just right for 2 nice size pizza stones.

I was looking at it when I was putting it together and started thinking about the possibility of buidling brackets or tracks that could be attached to the sides of the grill and create a slide control for the air sort of like the intake on the BSKD.

... I think we're very much 'in sync' in that I also am only focusing on grilling space due to the limited area of my BGE cooker. My need would be lots of parted chicken or pieces of carne asada (thin and spread out). Pizza too, although it also does well on the BGE.

I can buy those chrome plated 'beauty' plugs to individually shut down some of the lower inlet holes, but still would like a few more or some larger.

Your slide control idea is interesting.

Thanks,

I don't think it's really designed for long term cooking, more of a grill than a smoker.

Bingo! I've used mine a couple of times. Not enough to master it yet, but so far this has been my conclusion. Not that you can't,with the duel cooking chambers, use it for indirect or offset cooking for larger cuts, but it's not going to take the place of your smoker. It's a great grill though. I'm glad I have it.

So, bottom line is ... no need for mods to improve or ...

.... 'fine tune' inlet or exhaust airflow ?? Great to hear, just interesting that almost all other grills seem to have some type of control.

Good news! Thanks for posting.

I'd like to ask the Brethren out there how they would recommend best to season this thing before I cook on it. I did the spraydown with Veggie oil with my BSKD and it did OK I guess. I was wondering with the grill, if I should use something a little different. I sprayed my BSKD with PAM the other day when I was using it and I really liked the finish it gave.

My plan at the moment is to spray it down, inside and out and stoke the fires for a couple/three hours. Throw in a few chunks of cherry (for KC) and the first thing I wanna try is grilled pizza. It might be another week or two before I get a chance to do it so I'll keep everyone posted.

......... unfortunately, I'm a nitpicker and a bit fruggle so I passed on the spray can, soaked a rag with veggie oil, and carefully wiped every nook and cranny I could access ( EXCEPT FOR THE CHARCOAL GRATE and PAN ). I ran for 3 hours at ~225* and the another 1 hour at 400*. If you do this, put newspaper under it or place it where the excess veggie oil won't be a problem when it drips out. You'll also need to wipe down some exterior areas later, where some of the excess runs out. The end result was fine. I even cheated and tossed on some carne asada beef during the hot portion of the 'cure'.

Back