MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Fat Ba$tard--Go HawGs!!

Was sitting around the house the other day with my youngest son Max (he'll be four in a couple weeks). We were getting ready for the Seahawks game, and looking for a game time snack...and just maybe something to enter in the "Big Pig" throwdown currently underway.

Remembered we had some pulled pork from a cook a couple days before. We'd dusted off the drum (more like brushed all the spider webs off the poor guy). Kept this cook pretty old-school...hot n fast, mustard slather and our go-to rub: Paul Kirk's Millenium rub...

Getting close to wrapping here (at about 160 internal). Rested them for a couple hours in cambro after. Had some quality pulled pork sammies for dinner...

With plenty of leftovers from this cook...and some Hempler's applewood smoked bacon, Jimmy Dean sausage and some Boar's Head "Hot Cappy" (a spicy, hammy, bit of pork from the deli case) Max and I began to think we had a good thing going.

I've got some experience as a part owner/operator of a couple quick service restaurants. Couple of these were mainstream cheesesteak outfits. Had some guys at one of these create their own sandwich that they called the "fat bastard." It had not just steak, but also turkey, ham and chicken that we offered on the menu. Four meats...one big azz sandwich.

With our four different "pork" meats Max and I set out to make an all pig version...sort of a Big Pig Ba$tard.

Started out by getting the Jimmy Dean (one part Maple and one part Regular) going on the mini wsm. Had time for a game, or seven, of catch before it was done...

Then we got some bacon going...

We'd moved an extra tv we had in box out to the patio. Didn't want to miss any of the pre game. The Weber gasser makes a nice entertainment center...

Once the bacon and the fatty had finished cooking we set out assembling our porky goodness. Had to make sure things were good and warm...

Toasted the buns. Spread on some Baconnaise...what else would we have used??? A layer of hot cappy on the bottom.

Then some slices of the JD fatty, topped with pulled pork. And, a little bit of Tennessee Red.

Some bacon..

Topped this off with some sweet vinegar slaw (haven't really been a fan of slaws in the past. You gotta find Moe Cason's sweet vinegar slaw recipe on the google...good stuff). Liked the texture it added to the sandwich.

Tore into this sammie like Russell Wilson tore into the Arizona defense!! Good eatin' for sure. Have to admit...couldn't quite finish it all.

Was a dang fine sammie, a dang fine football game and some quality time with my little guy. And did I mention the Arrogant Bastard ale....some dang fine beer!!

Sammie a winner!! Seahawks a winner!! Father/son are winners!! Big Pig throwdown winner?? Hope so.

Thanks for checking out our cook. As Russell Wilson would say "go hawks"...or more appropriately Go HawGs!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Very tatsy lookin porky goodness there! Whenever I get my cholesterol down I'll have to give it a try!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Oh my!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

All I can say is WOW!

Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
Phubar

Dang...that is Phat!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
swamprb

Where did you get the Millenium rub? Haven't seen that around for a long time-good stuff!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

great lookin sammich and I'd bet a great time wit the lil guy. He sure looks like he was having fun

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
16Adams

Default I don't always drink beer.......

......and when I don't-I prefer Fat Bastard Winery merlot.
Would be tasty with your sandwich.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Button73
Knows what a fatty is.

I just started drooling on my keyboard. Awesome!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

That looks like one helluva sammie right there, nice work, and yes that was a great game to boot! Looks like you and the little guy had a great time, keep building those memories!

KC

Old 10-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Nice sammich and great choice of Beer!

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
peeps

awesome looking sandwich!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow !!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Where did you get the Millenium rub? Haven't seen that around for a long time-good stuff!
Central Market in Shoreline still carries it. We make a trip there and stock up from time to time. Katie really loves the stuff...simply has to have it for her popcorn!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Nice photos! my mouth has never salivated so much.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote