• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Maiden Voyage - Pit Barrel Cooker...

BayouFrogCake

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello all you BBQ brothers and sisters..this is my first post as I just joined this site a few days ago.

I wanted to share my VERY FIRST smoking experience with all of you. I took the plunge on a Pit Barrel Cooker last week and decided to "break my smokin' cherry" on Independence Day with a crowd of about 12 adults and a few little ones. I know...ballsy huh? LOL

Anyway, St. Louis Style Spare Ribs (4 racks) and whole Chickens (2), were on the menu.

Here is the synopsis of the event...

Ribs...Perfect (see photo)
Chicken..."The best chicken I have ever had...no ****", direct quote from a southern gal from Georgia.

Total cook time 4 hours (Put the chicken on at the 2 hour mark to finish around the same time as ribs). I can say that this cooker lived up to the good things I read on this site as well as others. and I want to send a personal shout out to my boss who told me to check it out before buying anything.

I welcome you thoughts and comments...til next time.

Bayou FrogCake

Attachments

• IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 410
"The best I've ever had"

Get used to those words. Every time I cook with the PBC those magic words appear. In fact I'm about to order a 2nd PBC.
One for keeping pretty and one for traveling fly fishing as it may get banged up a tad. Try the multiple brands of all natural briquettes and one baseball size chunk of pecan, oak etc. Welcome to the smoker that thinks its a grill. Or was that a grill that thinks its a smoker ;-))

Thanks fellas...I gotta tell ya I was sweating it but the BBQ gods were on my side yesterday (I think cause I followed the PBC directions with exception to lighter fluid, I used a chimney starter)...now I have some confidence.

In Case you wanted to know, I made my own rib rub using Brown Sugar, Kosher and Sea Salt, two types of paprika, fresh crushed pepper medley (black, white and red), alepo chili powder, crushed ancho chili, granulated garlic, granulated honey, garlic powder, cayenne and chinese 5 spice..

for the chicken I used the All Purpose Spice from PBC. And the sauce was a Sweet Onion BBQ sauce I picked up at William Sonoma which I liked very much.

Here's to next time.

Bayou

Great looking Q right there.
Welcome to the forum and hit Cattle Call when you have time.

Good looking ribs! Too bad there arent any photos of that cooker in action!

We've had quite the spirited debated about the PBC, but quite frankly based on the empirical evidence presented from multiple folks it seems like an awesome cooker just like the WSM.

Long live the venerable UDS, but kudos to the folks who go the extra mile and engineer a quality ready to cook some kick ass que smoker based on a proven design.

Good looking ribs! Too bad there arent any photos of that cooker in action!

Sorry for the late reply but I have been on vacation and off the 'puter...

Will definitely add some action shots next time. It's weekend first time brisket time...woo hoo gonna sink or swim for sure!

For sure next time! I was just trying to keep it all together...lol gonna do a brisket this weekend so I will capture the moment from trim to eat, so should be interesting.

Pbc

Love it.

Last edited:
Back