MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #1636
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

and dont forget he still has a restaurant to run and cook for
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #1637
tommye1078
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
I'm not a food service pro. Is there a way to rent say a bunch of Cambros with the heated doors? It seems like that would be the only way to reasonably cater for 1000 and keep all the food safe, if catering of that size isn't something you normally do. That way you could spend say 24 hours cooking all the meat and keeping it all held safely long enough. Plus then you've already got everything set up for transport and storage at the catering location, where you can keep refilling those chafing pans.
Here in chicago area there are places you can rent from. The big problem is it eats away at the profit margin.
tommye1078 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #1638
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Maybe you could rent a few pits from Nelson's! (regional inside joke)

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #1639
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

Brisket and butt would only be the feasible way unless you had a bunch of cookers/holding cabinets. How many pounds does your Ol' Hickory hold.
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #1640
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Just got a call for catering 1000 people this summer.

Now, to figure out the logistics of that beast.
Does it make sense financially to close the restaurant for the day (for a private event) to focus on the catered event? Unless fate smiles on you and the event is on a Monday when you're already closed.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #1641
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Default pickle recipe

Does anyone have the recipe for the pickles in the pictures on here. I know that it has been posted but after going back I cant seem to find it
jhuyser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #1642
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuyser View Post
Does anyone have the recipe for the pickles in the pictures on here. I know that it has been posted but after going back I cant seem to find it
I can't point you to the post, but I saved it off:

Quote:
Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #1643
jhuyser
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks!!!!
jhuyser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #1644
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I think I need to consider putting pickles in mason jars and sell them. People are coming in and ordering pickles by the quart. My staff will kill me though because it already feels like we're a pickle factory. Although I guess I could hire a person or two strictly to come in on Tuesday when we're closed but still here cleaning and taking deliveries, and just do massive quantities of pickles one day a week.

So many things I want to do and need to do, but so little time, and even fewer resources. If this week is any indication of what summer business will be like, I'm screwed (in a good way). This week the smoker has been absolutely at capacity nearly 24 hours a day. During the week we could get away with doing a couple less butts and brisket in the overnight cooks, but not anymore. Now the pit is packed overnight and we're even putting more brisket and butts on in the morning, which then takes space away for all the other meats we already didn't have enough room for.

There are worse problems to have, that's for sure!
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #1645
Memphis Que
On the road to being a farker

Sounds like you need another smoker.
Memphis Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #1646
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Que View Post
Sounds like you need another smoker.
Yep, smoker on a trailer, nothing fancy, but a way to also help be mobile for the catering gigs!
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #1647
Brontoburger
Full Fledged Farker

Totally agree on leaving the interior as-is. As long as it's clean and inviting, and it looks like it is. The only "gimmick" you need is great food at a reasonable price.
Brontoburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #1648
alane
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
This week the smoker has been absolutely at capacity nearly 24 hours a day. During the week we could get away with doing a couple less butts and brisket in the overnight cooks, but not anymore. Now the pit is packed overnight and we're even putting more brisket and butts on in the morning, which then takes space away for all the other meats we already didn't have enough room for.
Not sure what your equipment looks like or how often you clean, but make sure you don't get a fire in the smoker and burn the place down!
alane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #1649
Toeter
Knows what a fatty is.

What an adventure! Looks amazing!
Toeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #1650
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Don't tell my wife, but a 70" TV is coming to the pig this week. It's going to be epic.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->