MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Masterbuilt 40 Electric Smoker

I remember looking at these a while back but ... since I haven't used one and don't remember why I passed on them to begin with I thought I'd ask y'all. My buddy just bought a new home and he was looking at getting a smoker. He mentioned the Masterbuilt 40 and I honestly don't know much about it. I use offset smokers and a Traeger which I have come to enjoy for family cooks.

Can I get some feedback / opinions / thoughts on the Masterbuilt 40 electric smoker? He does like to do some entertaining - not huge events but small get togethers so there is a question on capacity too.

Thanks,
G

Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I have had the 30 version for about 2 years. I'm guessing it will be identical, other than wider shelves.

It's pretty great, overall. If your friend was going to cook in the backyard for groups, it'll make life extremely easy.

Temp fluctuation is nearly nonexistent.
Smoke control is separate from heat, so you can really dial your taste in once you get the hang of it.
Recovers easily without overshooting when opened, and insulation keeps heat in well.

Cons:
Taste is great, but not as good as charcoal and/or wood. I give it a 8/10 there. If he doesn't BBQ yet, he won't care. If he does, he may notice.
Little to no smoke ring.
Illegal in competition.

These cons may not be an issue for the right person. If not, he will be SUPER happy. I still use mine all the time, even with the drawbacks.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

As far as capacity, he won't be feeding ribs to 20 people, but my 30 can handle 2-4 butts (2 10lb ers or 4 6lb ers) with NO trouble.

I cook for 20 a couple times a year with very little issue - I usually do 2 big pork butts overnight at 230, and when it's done I remove and rest for a couple hours while I crank it to 275 to do 30-40 chicken thighs. It's a feast for at least 30 with no problems.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

I have the MES 40, the newer version with the 1200 watt element, like the one MB is selling now. The smoker works very well. I don't smoke meat on it any more since I own an Assassin GF, but I do routinely use it to make bacon wrapped japs. In the past, I've smoked lots of excellent Q on it - chicken, turkey, pork butts, pork loins, etc. It does really well overnight, doesn't have to be "tended". I do feed it wood chips the first few hours of a meat smoke, when it is most important to have smoke present, but usually went to sleep and let 'er go.

Your friend will be able to do outstanding Q on the MES 40, no worries. As an aside, can't ever do comp's on it, comp's don't allow electric - FYI.

Good luck.
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks gang - this feedback plus a few emails I have received should help him out ... I'll stick with my Traeger and My R&O... I do like the simplicity and ease of use for some of the cooks the MB does.