1st Comp Advice

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey Brthren,
My 1st comp is coming up in a couple of weeks. Can I trim my meat before I get there to save time, or will that cause a problem with the meat inspection? If you trim before what do you wrap the meat in?

Thanks

trimming ahead of time is completely legal...

dont over trim the pork butt.... theres a 5lb minimum on that.

if you have a vacu-suck, use that on the chicken. For the others, I wrap tight in seran wrap.

advice.. check out the roadmap in this (competition) forum.. theres alot of theads in there linking to first time checklists and advice.

trimming ahead of time is completely legal...

dont over trim the pork butt.... theres a 5lb minimum on that.

if you have a vacu-suck, use that on the chicken. For the others, I wrap tight in seran wrap.

advice.. check out the roadmap in this (competition) forum.. theres alot of theads in there linking to first time checklists and advice.

What he said

Of course, what he said may not apply if it's not a KCBS sanctioned competition :-D

Trimming ahead of time & vacuum sealing saves time when you get to the comp. Checklists for packing & timelines for cooking are invaluable to insure that you have everything you need when you get there. Good luck!

It's a good time saver. Nice to do chicken at home with dependable light and climate control.

Not a meat answer, but make a complete list of what you take, then mark it off the list if it was not used, except things like fire-extinguisher of course. This will make packing and unpacking much easier the next time and do it for a couple more, its amazing what you take you wont need. Most comps are close to some kind of store and people will lend things if you need it, but forgot it. Good luck. On the meat I always took the sticker that came with the meat and enclosed it with the meat so they could see what it was, especially the weight if need be.
Dave

If it is a KCBS comp then yes you can pre-trim at home. Makes life much easier, especially your first time out. All suggestions are good above. If you have the time do a practice run (same timeframe and meats, do boxes etc..). Make up a timeline for your team first of prodcedures, cook times and turn ins. Regardless keep a timeline up for your team to see in your tent during the competition. This way everyone knows what should be happening when in case you get caught up chatting with other teams, napping etc.

We did our first comp last year and one of my team mates mentioned to me how helpful it was to keep on track.

Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN! :thumb:

Coolers
Aluminum foil
Plastic wrap
Paper towels
Ziploc bags (gallon size)
Aluminum pans
Paper plates
Plastic Utensils
Plastic cups
Pots
Pans
Rub Shackers
Spray bottles
Sauce and basting brushes
Cutting boards
Knives
Knife sharpener
Meat thermometers
Scissors
Tweezers
Tongs
Spatulas
Aprons
Pot holders
Gloves, latex or rubber
Wet wipes
Bleach
Tubs for dish washing
Water containers
Dish cloth
Sponge
Scrubing Brush
Dish soap
Camp stove
Propane bottles​
Canopy
Chairs
Tables
Table covers
Bungee cords
Banners/Signs
Tarps
Pillows
Sleeping bag
Camp cot
extra clothes
Flashlights (& batteries)
Lantern
Entry form
Turn in times
Cooking Schedule
Maps Directions
Cell Phone
First Aid Kit
Tool Box
Radio Boom Box
CD's
Extension cords
Books
Duct Tape
Rope
Buckets
Trash bags
Generator
Gasoline
Briskets
Chicken
Pork butts
Ribs
Meat for special categories
Rubs
Sauce
Marinades/brines
Juice
Mustard
Butter
Sugar
Spices
Non stick spray
cooking oil
Lettuce
Parsley
Ice
Soda
Beer
Booze
Snacks
Cookers
Grills
Fire grates
Water pans
Thermometers
Fire starters
Lighter/Matches
Chimney
Fuel (charcoal, wood )
Covers
Welders gloves​
Spare cooker parts

Providing it is a KCBS contest, I would not do it any other way. Best to get that work done in the best available conditions. Especially chicken.

the meat inspectors will be looking for seasoned or injected meats , trimming meats at home is great if you have alot to set up . if not prepping your meat at the comp is a great way to kill time . keeping busy when you are a new team helps keep the jitters away and you may even get some advise from an experienced team on trimming. either way it doesn't hurt to ask someone there.

I was in this position about a year ago. Set up reasonable goals. No Dq's, no DAL's, and have fun!

Good Luck!

OK until reading this thread - I didn't think one could trim their meats before a KCBS comp.

So to clarify, for a KCBS comp you can:
- Trim your Pork Shoulders
- Trim your Brisket
- Prep / defat your chicken
???

OK until reading this thread - I didn't think one could trim their meats before a KCBS comp.

So to clarify, for a KCBS comp you can:
- Trim your Pork Shoulders
- Trim your Brisket
- Prep / defat your chicken
???

Yes to all. If it makes you feel better, keep the tags from the store.

I like to trim at the contest, but I am a glutton for punishment.

Just remember as Phil said, don't overtrim your pork. Has to be at least 5 lbs. Although most of the ones we use are in the 9-11 lb. range, so you'd have to trim really aggressively:wink:

Back