Portable Power Source?

I use Duracell PowerPak 600 for my stoker, no problems with it for the past 2 years

I think Deep cycle battery is your best bet for real power but for powering gurus, I did a bunch of looking into it and on a whim, I tried seeing how long a pair of 6V batteries would power my DigiQ DX and 10cfm fan. did 2 7hr cooks on one set of batteries on my BWS, and last weekend I did a 15hr cook (16hr run time) on a 22"wsm in 15 degree weather and it still had power. Honestly, Im not even worried about using 6v's anymore. And I was using the cheapest 6v twin pack of rayovacs I could buy. like 6.50 for the 2.
*edit* Ive actually done 4 battery power cooks. ran battery power at the Fire On Ice competition. 8 below when I fired the BWS up and had it running for 9hrs before I pulled the plug. no problems

EBB2DF24-F5CE-4419-9062-8A43A7E3DFFD-443-00000268A65A37F4_zps7b660c3b.jpg

untraceable, did you use two batteries because you wired them in series to give yourself a 12V battery? Or did you wire them in parallel to give you longer run time?

I have the Xantrex 600HD powerpack (same as the Duracell mentioned above). It has a 480W inverter and a 28ah battery. Should be plenty for the guru. If you know how many amps/watts it draws you can calculate exactly how much time to expect form it.

I just did a test with it last night and it ran my Yoder YS640 for 4.5 hours. Pretty much what I expected but not enough for a whole competition so I used the supplied jumper cables with the Xantrex and attached a car battery I had lying around and it went for another 7 hours (and was still going). It's nice to know you can power what you need if there is an issue at a comp or if the comp does not supply power.

Probably overkill for just a guru but I just did a Trip Lite 750, deep cycle battery, cables, and a fuse for about 400.

Figured enough to run the Yoder and a light for 10 hours without a problem.

series wired to jump up to 12v. guru even gives you a small jumper to conect 2 batteries with the 12v power cable you can buy from them.

I figure 4x a year I need battery power so its not too bad. if I was doing 15 comps a year, then a bigger battery would make more sense

oh to add to the discussion, I emailed Guru once and they said at pull draw, the 10cfm fan pulled .67a

Seems a bit pricey got a nice 4000 watt geny at Harbour Freight for $50 more

?? Amazon has the duracell for $147. I think I got the Xantrex for less than that. Also, I did not buy it for this purpose, I already had it. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DRPP600-Powerpack-Starter-Emergency/dp/B009YR00MI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1363806560&sr=1-1"]Duracell DRPP600 Powerpack 600 Jump Starter and Emergency Power Source : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

When did you get a 4000W generator for less than $200 and what contest lets you run a generator all night?

one thing other than the cost of the power packs was reading the reviews of them on amazon. lots of problems reported. Id rather buy a deep cycle battery than a power pack

one thing other than the cost of the power packs was reading the reviews of them on amazon. lots of problems reported. Id rather buy a deep cycle battery than a power pack

read the reivews on inverters and you will get the impression they are pure crap too.

I used the jump starter battery I got a Costco for $70, plus the DC adaptor from BBQ Guru. BBQ Guru folks recommended an even cheaper one from Wal-mart that was around $49.

Duracell 600

IMG_6036.jpg

Just use it to run 2 Gurus which it will do fine. Still going strong on its 3rd year.

Tried to run a string of rope lights and a clamp on with a CFC flood bulb, it only lasted an hour fully charged.

Back