World Food Championships

Iso

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For those that attended this 2012 WFC, what did you think of it?

Would you go back? Why or Why Not?
Would you go back if your entry fee was paid along with a contribution to offset expenses?

Tell us more about your experience there. Seems like most of us are not familiar with the event.

I didn't qualify for the event. I've heard mixed stories ranging from "I didn't get it" to "I had a blast. Can't wait to go back".

I qualified, was invited, and declined. I would have loved to go but no way could I justify the thousands of dollars it would have cost to get there or the 3-4 days travel each way. Great that it happened and hope they do it again this year.

We made the trip, flew out from Michigan and had our equipment shipped. Was expensive, biggest cost was getting it from the warehouse in Vegas to the comp site and back, cost more than out and back from Michigan.
It was really a good experience, glad we did it and can say we participated. Not sure I would do it again.

The judging was horrible and rushed. You think they would have put it front and center not in a back parking lot. It needs to greatly improve.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I judged the event awesome bbq on the tables
The event location was in the best spot available givin the trailers etc teams use

We cooked this one..my thoughts from a cooks perspective..busted up parking lot(at least where we were)it was an invite until they couldn't get enough teams then they let the flood gates open with the "wild card"entries which diminished the prestige they were trying to achieve..they spread out turn ins over two days and had sauce replace chicken which was odd to me..heard judges were scoring down if the sauce was BH based and up if it was head country also heard a judge was at a table by himself(celebrity)and judged only brisket..didn't get a score sheet after awards was told to go online but results weren't posted until after 2am..there deffinetly was room for improvement but hey it was in Vegas..and that in itself can bring out or keep teams away.

We won an invitation as well...turns out we could have just sent in a bio...:rolleyes: Have no desire to cook it again based on last year's format and organizational nightmare...:thumbdown:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for all the comments. Please keep them coming.

We cooked this event, the cost was staggering when compared to most other events but still 1/3 the cost of Memphis in May. We drove 40 there and 40 hours back, hotels, food, fuel and of course some play time at the shows and tables.

Regarding the event itself, there was sufficient staffing and security, unfortunately when you have a group this size it is tough to get a answer on questions and format. There were only really a dozen people in the know and seven competitions going on at the same time. The priority went to the front of the house in the burger and sandwich divisions. This was also a big media project and what develops, who knows. I would have been nice to have an information booth in the hotel, staff there had no idea this was even happening.

As this was a costly event there were wildcards galore as many people registered but pulled out at the last moment. Did it wash down the event, not really and I don’t think that reflected in the top scores.

We were fortunate to pick up RGC in the recipe division and went to the final table as the GC wasn’t going to cook it. This was a very different day from what we are used to and was more reflective of a Pitmaster’s competition, take that for what it is.

There are tons of positives and some negatives and places to improve. For the size of this event, and as it was their first year, it was incredible. If you can afford it Vegas was worth the trip, every second of it. Is this going to replace the Jack, not likely but it will be a contender in a few very short years, perhaps.

Mike

Back