Allergic reaction to wood smoke

sdgoes99

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I just got my my new Char griller Kamado and yesterday was my first smoke. I had a gas grill before. I had Royal Oak (usa) Lump charcoal and a chunk of weber applewood. I wasn't exposed that much, but my sinus's by my forehead felt like they had been with compressed air. I still feel it today. I haven't felt like that since I lived in the midwest. ( I'm in Phoenix now) Any ideas on a different lump charcoal or smoke wood? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks,

Steve

I have sensitivities to some wood dust which is kind of a bummer since woodworking is one of my passions. Try changing one thing at a time. Eliminate the applewood and see what happens. Good luck!

I have horrible allergies. I did 4 years of allergy shots and had to have sinus surgery to reduce the size of my turbinates. I get the same way, and I haven't noticed much of a difference between brands or woods. What I've found most helpful was to take sudafed before I start cooking and using a netti pot after I'm done. If I'm able to get ahead of it before the problem starts I don't seem to suffer for days like you are explaining. I will say that I've noticed to more clean my fire is, is less severe things get. I've wondered if it is the creosote and the thick smoke in the beginning that gets to me.

I've had allergy's as long as I can remember as I get older some get worse, some get better. To answer your question.. Nope just deal with it. Sorry

I live in what many folks would consider the allergy capitol of the world. Smoke of any kind doesn't bother me.

Took 7 years living here before allergies got me. Now I get it.

I know an award winning BBQ cook and KCBS team of the year who is allergic to the smoke coming from his smoker. So yeah, it happens.

I always take an allergy pill and if I'm going to be in the smoke I typically put on a mask. Gives my wife and neighbors a good laugh, but it beats being sick.

i also seem to have issues with applewood as i don't have any with oak or pecan.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will start the process of elimination to see what is causing it. I appreciate the help.

Hey if you decide that the allergies from the smoke is not worth going through to cook I will take your smoker off your hands.

What temps were you running the Pit at? A low smouldering fire can really stink.

A big thing with Royal Oak lump at least here is finding foreign objects in the bag. Fiberglass insulation for one and some really strange pieces\Sticks of wood at times that want to burn as if they were soaked in chemicals.

Just check what you are dumping into the cooker...

Back