MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Brauma's Bandera Overhaul Mod

Note from Moderator - TK split the following posts from a thread started by Brauma Mark titled Fire Box Vent Mod. That topic evolved into a great sequence of Mark's overhaul of his vintage Bandera. Here it is...

Ok, Ive found a photo converter tool to convert my pic to a JPEG file. Lets see if this works.

Here is a pic showing how bad my rust is at the smoke hole:

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Brauma

Here is another view:

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan

Old 06-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Brauma

Another thought. Since I am pulling this unit apart, how about adding a horizontal chamber in between the firebox and vertical chamber? Would this design support it? Or would that be overkill for this relatively small unit?

When you have the horizontal and vertical configuration, what meats do you typically cook in the horizontal chamber? What's the skinny on that?

Old 06-06-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
parrothead

Quote:
what meats do you typically cook in the horizontal chamber?
If you have this type of congiguration, the horizontal becomes your main cooking chamber and the upright becomes a warmer or a place to do lower temp things like jerky, etc.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
Brauma

I'm resurecting this old thread to show the old pics of my Bandera and to talk about its refurbishment.

I want to give a big thanks out to Trout Man because he has helped me fix it. Trout's welder buddy Charlie cut out all the rusted out metal and replaced it with nice new shiny 1/8" plate! WooHoo! So if the weather holds out (its supposed to rain) I'll get my newly refurbished Bandera seasoned this wknd and start playing with fire to practice maintaining 220 degrees.

Trout and Charlie installed a different type of baffle. Instead of the Bandera mod, they have a big plate that will mount at the smoke hole and deflect heat under it or distribute the heat better.

Thanks again Trout for helping me. I should be Q'ing soon. I'll post some pics of the metal work later. I had to leave Trout and come to work 2nd shift tonight. Sucks! It's killing me! I want to drink a beer and play with me "new" Bandera tonight. All good things are worth waiting for though I guess.

I will be chaging my signature soon too to reflect a working Bandera.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Mark, Congrats on the newly refurbed 'dera!! Happy cooking on the new rig!!

Trout, no suprise to me that a Brother needed some help and it came from you. You exemplify what Brotherhood is all about! Thanks to your friend Charlie for getting Mark up and running.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #7
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

How does cat butt, with 300 posts, Get props from Trout, who is hell bent on giving me chit?

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
How does cat butt, with 300 posts, Get props from Trout, who is hell bent on giving me chit?
Because I'm nice

Mark,

No problem with the help, glad to do it. Now I don't care if it is raining put that thing together and light a fire in it. Bill, Phill, Scott and the rest have had too do it. Only two thing will melt when it gets wet salt and $hit and which one are you? (See Bill I can pick one other's)

BTW Charlie will fix just about anything for beer :D

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #9
Brauma

Quote:
Only two thing will melt when it gets wet salt and $hit and which one are you?
Well, since you've put it that way, looks like Ive got a fire to start this wknd.

Quote:
BTW Charlie will fix just about anything for beer
No doubt about that. I was happy to pay Charlie in beer. I may be bringing him some more work in the near future. Beer or cash, Charlie does good work. I was happy to pay him what ever he wanted for resurecting my old 'dera.

BTW, you farkers got me with that dam 480vAC powder that Charlie made. My mouth was on fire. I had to stop at the Parham Rd exit and get a large sweet ice tea from the Exxon station. I'm not much into hot sauces or rubs and that was some grade AA hot chit! whew! And I could see you laughin at me. But that's alright, I have ways of getting even. I can see the beginnings of a great Q & beer friendship here.

Thanks again Trout. For the Bandera help. Not the hot powder!

Old 08-06-2005, 05:09 AM   #10
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What a beautiful story.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #11
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
BTW, you farkers got me with that dam 480vAC powder that Charlie made. My mouth was on fire. I had to stop at the Parham Rd exit and get a large sweet ice tea from the Exxon station. I'm not much into hot sauces or rubs and that was some grade AA hot chit! whew! And I could see you laughin at me. But that's alright, I have ways of getting even. I can see the beginnings of a great Q & beer friendship here.
Charlie makes a hot rub that he call 480Volt he got Mark to try it when it came to pick up his dera and while he had some gum in, I could see Marks eyes start to roll back in his head, but he did not want to pass out at my shop because he knew he would have woke up naked with his picture on the site :)

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
Brauma

Here are the pics from the rebuild featuring Charlie's work. New metal on the firebox, main chamber and note the metal plate instead of a baffle. I used stainless threaded rod in the upper holes to hold up the heat distributing plate. And I also used an old sheet of Mr Gasket gasket material between the two chambers cut to size.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #13
Brauma

Here are some pics of the seasoning. The newly refurbished 'Dera is slathered down good with crisco and veggie oil.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #14
Brauma

First fire for seasoning. Aw, sweet blue!

Old 08-13-2005, 08:09 PM   #15
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Mark, Looking Good Bro!! Time to put some eats in that Beast!! May Sweet Blue and Tasty Q be in your future!!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote