• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked pork and kraut, naked spicy fattie, stuffed pork loin pron pron pron

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey everybody, long time since I've posted, mainly cause I'm cooking the same stuff we all cook (ribs, butts, etc). But here I'm trying three new things at once.

1. Smoked pork and kraut: round these parts pork and kraut is a cultural tradition. I have Amish heritage and grew up eating pork and kraut every new years day. Traditionally it is a pork roast seasoned with salt and pepper. Kraut that has been sauted in butter is added to the pot and its roasted in the oven for hours on end. Today I've done the same seasoning and kraut, but I'm smoking it in my MC stickburner over apple and oak. At some point in the cook I'll cover the pot to avoid oversmoking the kraut. Also added beer :)

2. Stuffed pork loin. Took a loin, flayed it open. Seasoned with MC BBQ seasoning. Fried up a mess of bacon. Diced a half an apple and sauted that in bacon grease and butter plus a bit of brown sugar. Layer feta cheese, crumbled bacon, and apples into the flayed loin. Rolled and skewered with bamboo due to lack of string. Will glaze with AJ, honey mustard mixture later.

3. Naked spicy fattie.

More pron later...

Last edited:
My parents are from your area, and we grew up eating pork and sauerkraut every New Years Day. However, it was usually chops WAY overcooked in the kraut. Basically, shoe leather and sauerkraut. :tsk:

Yours looks much better. :thumb:

CD

Phubar, the Amish in my area have roots back to Europe. They are referred to here as "Pennsylvania Dutch" lot of their traditional food shows that heritage. We are like brothers from another mother!

CD, doing a small rib roast. Hope it turns out ok :)

Here's the naked fattie, half eaten :)

Last edited:
Looks awesome!!! is that Yuengling?

For some reason that is making me want to fire up my Smokey Joe and grill some brats to go with some kraut I have in the fridge. It won't be near as tasty as yours looks but it will fill that empty void I have now since I opened this thread. Nice looking spread and thanks for the post and pron. :thumb:

The beer is a local. Lancaster Brewing Company, Strawberry Wheat is the brew. Have a sixtel just tapped. Here are some more pics. Made the mistake of not saving some of the glaze on the loin to drizzle over it after slicing. The kraut turned out great, would use a shoulder next time vs a roast. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Back