MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default I finally know what " Goes in Like Butter" means!!!

I thought I new before but I was wrong. I will attempt to explain it from the way I'm looking at it.

I always thought that "like buttah" referred to how easily the probe goes in. It kinda does but mostly I think it means how smoothly it goes in. I use a cake tester made by Good Grips sold at Bed Bath and Beyond.

When the Brisket isn't done yet and you push the probe in you can feel small "ticks" as the end of the probe goes through the meat. I believe these "ticks" are strands of connective tissue breaking because the collagen that they are made of has not melted away. When I come back later to the same brisket to find that the end of the probe glides through the meat with no "ticking" I take this to mean that the collagen has broken down, and you should now if I am correct have a tender brisket. Although the last one I did was tender but could have gone just a bit longer.

I will also say that I learned this feel only recently for the first time through Brother Funk's Night Train Brisket experiment. In no way am I an expert, just trying to explain the best way that I can something I just learned myself.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bingo!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

I think you are correct
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

That is helpful, thanks. I've done 3 briskets so far and have yet to feel the "like butter" feel of the probe, each time ending up in an over-cooked brisket. I've done a couple of pork butts, and with those I could tell. On my briskets, I keep waiting for that same feel, and it never seems to come. Then when I descide to just go ahead and pull it off, it's way over-done. Your description will give me something to look for in the future.
Hunterman95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Brisket..
I have vowed to do one every weekend till I get some kind of grasp on them..
Brisket..

Old 03-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
rescue_ranger
Full Fledged Farker

By Jove I think he's got it!!
[I]2 - [COLOR=blue][B]Char-Griller [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]Professional[/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I]With offset[/I]
[I]2 -[B][COLOR=darkorange]Gold[/COLOR][/B] [/I][B]Weber 22 1/2" kettle, with therm- sear grate, ash can[/B]
[I]1 - [B]200gal[/B] smoker[/I]
[COLOR=green][B]Rescue_ranger[/B][/COLOR] also known by my fellow [COLOR=red][B]USMC[/B][/COLOR] clan as G-Bear :boxing:
rescue_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I have vowed to do one every weekend till I get some kind of grasp on them..
LOL, I've done one every weekend for the last 3 weeks with the same goal in mind. But after spending almost $100 doing so (and about $60 of that ending up in the trash), I'm thinking hot dogs this weekend!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
landarc

Yep, he does seem to have figured it out.

Hunterman, I gotta say, be aware of the fact that a brisket that is not quite done, feels an awful lot like one that is overdone. When you say overdone, is it falling apart into dry shreds overdone? Or tough and difficult to bite through overdone?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

difficult to bite through....... so what is the difference in the two?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
gtr

^^^Like landarc says, a lot of underdone briskets are mistaken for overdone ones. As far as flinging the unsuccessful ones, fling 'em into a pot of chili & you'll be glad you did
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterman95 View Post
difficult to bite through....... so what is the difference in the two?
the collagens haven't broken down in the tough ones. once they do, the meat becomes tender and delicious.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
^^^Like landarc says, a lot of underdone briskets are mistaken for overdone ones. As far as flinging the unsuccessful ones, fling 'em into a pot of chili & you'll be glad you did
Due to me being more stubborn than a my brisket in the last month thats about the only thing we havent tried with the leftovers!

So far brisket tacos, Brisket Stir fry, Brisket Quesadillas, Brisket Spaghetti, Brisket Nachos, Brisket Meat in ABTs and of course plain ole brisket!

I will figure this out! :)

Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Hunterman95
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I really don't think this was underdone, do you? It was really dry, grey and chewy.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
jason
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
As far as flinging the unsuccessful ones, fling 'em into a pot of chili & you'll be glad you did
^This

Large Big Green Egg
22" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

The night train experiement was designed so right off the bat a novice (or anyone) could experience the feel WITHOUT WASTING SEVERAL BRISKETS AND TONS OF COAL AND WOOD OR PELLETS. The Night Train is an OVEN experience where all other rudiments of BBQ are cast aside in one controlled experiement. No elaborate rubs, injections, in fact... no BBQ at all. Once you realize what the cut can do and what it feels like..... you can then go on your journey duplicating what you learned in the oven-- to the pit.

There are plenty of great Qers out there that also, in the quest for crispy bite through chicken skin, repeatedly dialed it in on the oven before they started smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterman95 View Post
That is helpful, thanks. I've done 3 briskets so far and have yet to feel the "like butter" feel of the probe, each time ending up in an over-cooked brisket. I've done a couple of pork butts, and with those I could tell. On my briskets, I keep waiting for that same feel, and it never seems to come. Then when I descide to just go ahead and pull it off, it's way over-done. Your description will give me something to look for in the future.

Thanks from: --->