MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Need Tips: Standing Rib Roasts

I wanna cook a couple standing rib roasts on my WSM. I'd like to cook these to medium rare or medium internal temps. Should these be cooked in the 225-250° range until done or should they be cooked hotter?

Is there any special technique for preparing this cut of meat for cooking?

Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just a simple rub of EVOO, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and you're good to go. (I use fresh ingredients and make a paste in the morter and pestle. The temps are the only variable. I usually do 300~325 and pull at 127 and foil for a rest. It'll climb to 135. If your cooking at 250 you can probably pull at 130 and be OK.

Oh, and I LOVE Jack Daniels oak for rib roasts. You can get bags of charcoal/cubes mixed (the cubes are cut from barrel staves) and pull the cubed.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Either way will work. I do mine hot though. Is it bone in? If yes I cut the meat 3/4 of the way off the bone then season in between and tie it back together. I usually rub with evoo then Todds Dirt and a little extra gran garlic.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I've been doing rib roasts in the oven at 250 for years. Now I do it on the WSM and get a beautiful med rare at that temp.

As for rubs etc, that should come from experience testing what you like and don't like. I'm a simple guy when I comes to meat, so I don't use much more than salt and pepper.

Oh yea, I like to sear the roast before I put it on to smoke.

Good luck.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
bigabyte

You should be OK. If you have a hot drill you can toss it on and do a reverse sear, even better.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

I toss them onto my BGE at 500 for 20 minutes then shut everything off until I get an IT if 130 then pull it. Mine are generally rubbed with EVOO and The Rub Co. 60% Santa Maria and 40% The Rub Co. Original. Caramelized Crust on the exterior gives way to a medium rare interior.

Sometimes I cut the bone away in a flap fashion and season underneath then re-attach it with string. Makes a wicked beef rib after the cook and a boneless steak for the family.

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

If you cook them at a "lower" temp of 250-275 or so, you will get a nice "doneness" which is the same from the outer edge to the middle.

If you cook "hotter", say 350 ish, you will get a gray ring around the outer edges that is well done or so. Then the inner portion will be cooked to your desired temp.

Take your choice.

Good Eats either way!

TIM

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Just the topic I was about to post a question to..

If I'm going for medium throughout and don't mind a low and slow is 250* a pretty decent temp? I'd like a little crust outside, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't get it since this will be mostly sliced somewhat thinly rather than prime rib steak fashion.

Also, I wanted to get a good ausjus. Should I throw a little bit of beef broth in with the rib roast to get some extra liquid rendered? It seems like other than the fat cap that most of my rib roasts don't render a bunch of juice.

Thanks for the tips, and good luck to the original poster! I love me some rib roast a la "prime rib"!
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
You should be OK. If you have a hot drill you can toss it on and do a reverse sear, even better.
That must be one heck of a drill

JM... I have been cooking rib roasts at 275 - 300 degrees for a long time, but Landarc posted some comparison pictures last fall showing the difference between a roast cook at 225 - 250 and a roast cooked at 300, and the gray ring around the outside that Tim mention was definitely visible, so I switched to 240 for my last one and I like the result better. Mine usually get a nice brown crust, but if you want more of a crust then you can do a reverse sear in a very hot oven or roll it on a hot grill for a bit.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
landarc

Actually, Ron_L beat me to the drill comment. Dang! That was Gore that posted the comparison pics I think, I just posted some pics to agree with him. I go lower on the kettle, but, I learned to hit a roast at high heat for 10 minutes, then drop to 225F to 250F and let it run when I was roasting in ovens. So, all I have changed is no sear at either end of the cook. I just see no need for the sear.

Here are two rib roasts I did last Christmas that were done

Here is the link to that cook for reference. LINK

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
azken
is one Smokin' Farker

Do you put the meat side on the grill bone side up or bone side on the grill meat side up or does it not make a difference? Thanks...good thread!

I see the rack in the pan...answers my question.

Last edited by azken; 07-09-2011 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Just saw the picture
azken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
landarc

Actually, I often do not pan the roasts, that was an experiment. I go bone side down, fat side towards heat if no pan. This time I went with the pan to add some moisture and flavor, not sure what the results were, there were no complaints.

I will add, one of these roasts, the horribly over-trimmed one was from a pasture raised and grass finished steer. This ranch provides very lean beef that can often be a little tough, it did not help that the butcher expressly did not follow my directions for not trimming the roast. The use of the kettle and smoking it worked great. It was an excellent choice for this roast.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Does anyone like a crust on the prime rib roast? If so what do you use to get it?

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Actually, Ron_L beat me to the drill comment. Dang! That was Gore that posted the comparison pics I think, I just posted some pics to agree with him. I go lower on the kettle, but, I learned to hit a roast at high heat for 10 minutes, then drop to 225F to 250F and let it run when I was roasting in ovens. So, all I have changed is no sear at either end of the cook. I just see no need for the sear.

Here are two rib roasts I did last Christmas that were done

Here is the link to that cook for reference. LINK
Are those aromatics under there to braise the beef with the steam or to add to the aujus?
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
keale
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Just a simple rub of EVOO, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and you're good to go. (I use fresh ingredients and make a paste in the morter and pestle.
I have a rub like guerre's, but I add Horseradish, and thyme also... good kick to it!
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote