Grilled Asparagus...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have made a couple of comments recently about grilled Asparagus on other threads.

I used it on a recent Throwdown (that I am going to lose) and commented on it on someone's Steak thread.

If you have not done this, you need to grill some asparagus. It is an incredible side for steaks, and just about any meat you can cook over fire. And, it is sooooo simple, a caveman can do it -- and probably do it well.

Get some fresh asparagus, give it a very light coating of olive oil. Sprinkle some kosher-salt or sea-slt on it, and grind some black pepper on it.

Put it on a medium hot grill, and keep it moving. When you have a little char on it, but it is not burnt. You are done.

The finished product is nice and crisp, very full of flavor, and not the slightest bit soggy. Do it at the last minute, so it is served hot and fresh.

I grew up eating soggy canned asparagus, and hated it. Now that I know how to cook FRESH asparagus quickly, it is one of my favorite vegetables.

BTW, I have reasons to believe that women love it. Just sayin'. :cool:

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely agree on the grilling method and I add Italian seasoning...had some for tonights dinner...hamburger steaks, asparagus and roasted red potatoes....boy it was good and easy cleanup.

That's how I do mine too. I may also either give it a light dusting of Lemon Salt or just squeeze a lemon wedge over it when it's done. Or Balsamic. Grilled Asparagus is tough to beat, seriously.

And let's not forget how special easy cleanup it! I'm doing grilled asparagus tomorrow night with my lamb and (not telling) for the throwdown.

Agreed, grilled asparagus is great! It is also one of the wife's favorites, which is why it was on the Valentine's Day menu alongside the marinated sirloin and the bourbon-glazed shrimp. Grilled 'til it has a slight char is right on!

CD, Your absolutely right Brother! Love the stuff! Somehow its ALWAYS best with a fat juicy steak beside (or under) it! :thumb:

attachment.php

Cheers.

I said soggy in your previous thread.
Everybody has his/her own taste but I think you shouldn't overcook aperagus like you don't overcook your meat!
Niek's plate at our Phirst comp in Belgium...11th place out of 30 teams...

IMG_1233.jpg

And yeah...chicks dig asperagus!:cool:

Last edited:
Asparagus on the grill is awesome. Actually it is the only way I will eat it. Here is a quick easy way to ensure that every spear gets eaten. Mix together:

2 TB evoo
1/4 Cup soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1 TB honey
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 TB lemon juice (use fresh, you'll be thankful you did)

Pour mixture over asparagus and let sit for 5 minutes. Grill asparagus as discussed above and enjoy. The added flavor is surprising for such an easy marinade. We made this to take to relatives for Thanksgiving years ago and are now asked to bring it every year. (I make the marinade at home and combine asparagus and marinade at the destination then use my Weber Go-Anywhere grill to cook it up)

EVOO & Montreal Steak Seasoning, then onto the grill for a bit. We pull em when they have a little bit of crunch left. Works well with fresh green beans too

I grill asparagus all the time just as stated in the OP. For a change, sometimes I throw some baby Swiss on it right after I pull it off the grill.

5dba9f5f.jpg

074aaa08.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed! Asparagus is awesome grilled. Me and my fam's favorite along with a steak.

if you want to go really light (calories and fat grams) spray them with PAM instead of coating with olive oil (i also spray the grill with PAM before putting them on).

you'll be surprised that they still taste great and be happy about the improvement in the nutritional value

I do this all the time. Sometimes when I am grilling quite a few and not worried abt appearance I will thread them on a skewer. Makes it a lot easier to turn all at once. Grilled whole Okra is another fave of mine!

I can't believe no one has gone here yet, but bacon (or prosciutto) wrapped & grilled aspar-grass is da bomb!

For Valentine's Day din-dins I grilled some with EVOO and Kosher salt, then sprinkled freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on it and drizzled a balsamic glaze over that. It didn't suck. ;)

Back