I have a dilemma... How do I eat healthy and still eat good BBQ

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys do for sides when you are trying to cut carbs and eat healthier? I figure the bbq is bad enough so I don't need to keep making it worse by eating all kinds of sides that are awful for you too.

Slaw with a vinegar based dressing would be one thing you could do. Greens make great sides & can be healthy if prepared certain ways. Squash is also a tasty side if done with the right seasonings and healthy if you don't put a bunch of butter, brown sugar, etc...
Also, it's really hard to beat a good tomato.

Don't eat the sides!:mad:

This is a viable approach.

Smaller portions too. Changing some of your ingredients also works.

They make these really thin burger buns know, which I think are great with pulled pork. Greek yogurt instead of mayo in slaw.

I'm looking forward to other people's responses...

I also have the same concerns. I am already on blood pressure medication. I limit how often I eat certain foods. Saturday nights are my night to eat whatever I want. I usually eat fairly healthy during the week and I work out regularly. I have to admit I slip occasionally but in general it works for me.

Slaw with a vinegar based dressing would be one thing you could do. Greens make great sides & can be healthy if prepared certain ways. Squash is also a tasty side if done with the right seasonings and healthy if you don't put a bunch of butter, brown sugar, etc...
Also, it's really hard to beat a good tomato.

Tomato's are carbs.

Tomato's are carbs.

Dang! Well that's a bummer...

Lately, I've been limiting myself to one plate of food. Also plating up away from the table seems to help with portion control. If the stuff isn't sitting there in your face, you're less likely to eat it.

so for squash what do you do to it to make it tasty without all the butter? I have found that I use butter as a crutch in most veggies.

Best Asparagus ever has melted butter and todds dirt on it thrown on the grill. I am thinking I can replace the butter with olive oil for alot of these things and get some improvement...

so for squash what do you do to it to make it tasty without all the butter? I have found that I use butter as a crutch in most veggies.

Best Asparagus ever has melted butter and todds dirt on it thrown on the grill. I am thinking I can replace the butter with olive oil for alot of these things and get some improvement...

Yes, olive oil is a great sub for butter. I use ginger in place of salt, often.

My all time favorite side to eat with BBQ is a cucumber salad, it really seems to work well with smokey spicy meat. Just thinly slice a cucumber, some onion and mix it with low fat sour cream or fat free yogurt, red wine vinegar, salt/pepper. It’s super simple and really good.

Also, you could look at doing different kinds of beans, which are carbs, but complex carbs, and loaded with fiber and don’t get most people in trouble. You just have to start with dried beans, soak them overnight, drain and rinse them and pop them in a stock pot or slow cooker, cover by a couple of inches of water or stock and whatever other healthy ingredients you want. Cook until tender and you have a protein/fiber rich side with little to no cholesterol or fat

+1 on olive oil in place of butter. Could check out different types of chili powders/peppers for seasoning too.

My all time favorite side to eat with BBQ is a cucumber salad, it really seems to work well with smokey spicy meat. Just thinly slice a cucumber, some onion and mix it with low fat sour cream or fat free yogurt, red wine vinegar, salt/pepper. It’s super simple and really good.

Just do an olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the cucumbers with some fresh basil, throw some tomatoes in and you have a perfect summer salad.

Take a look at the product line of Smart Balance which is available in most grocery stores. Good taste without the bad for you stuff.

Use olive oil instead of butter and grill it. I slice squash and zuchini in long thick slabs, oil it down, season it, and throw it on a hot grill. Same thing with asparagus just don't slice it.

Here's a few I like, don't know how many carbs if thats what your counting.
Zucchini cut in quarters brush with evoo add spices to top and grill.

Saute fresh sliced garlic in evoo to soften then add fresh spinach, little kosher salt saute till it's done.

Fresh green beans, sliced garlic, cherrry tomatos sliced in half seeds squeezed out(you can omitt but it makes it look nice) evoo, kosher salt & pepper bake covered @350 to your liking(softness)

You can always do a vegatable medley zuccini,peppers,onions,ect... and grill them in a wire basket.
I use a lot of evoo, I like Colavita brand.
Salads with low fat dressing.

I've been starving to death for the past two weeks with this same dilemma. I've been learning some tricks but, for BBQ, the best thing I've found is chicken breast on the BGE. I'm eating some right now, grilled with just a little peach wood and some nice rub. It's no brisket, but it beats rabbit food.

My better half just eats smaller portions and/or makes a salad with any of the smoked meats. Her favorite is smoked turkey!

Here is a salad she made from some smoked chicken and smoked corn:

054.jpg

052.jpg

049.jpg

Sorry the photos are from my camera phone!

Back