Austin, TX

MaximumJEFF

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm heading down to Austin to work the MotoGP races this coming weekend. But, I've scheduled an extra day so I can visit Franklin's BBQ. I've heard you have to be in line super early. Is that true during the week? I plan on having lunch there Wednesday

Thanks,
Jeff

This was the line at 10:00am.

photo-83.jpg

GTR got in line about 8:00am. It was a Friday.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185160

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
We got there at 8 am and were about 35th in line. Fantastic brisket - I'd do it again.

If you don't have as much time to wait in line check out John Mueller Meat Co. on 6th. We got there about 45 minutes early on a Sunday and were the second group in line. Amazing stuff as well. I'd give Franklin's the edge for the mind-blowing brisket experience, but John Mueller may have the edge for the overall experience. It's all so dang good I don't even really like comparing.

If you get to Franklin's really early and be among the first, you can eat there and then hopefully catch Mueller before he runs out - now that's a day of good eats right there.

We got there at 8 am and were about 35th in line. Fantastic brisket - I'd do it again.

If you don't have as much time to wait in line check out John Mueller Meat Co. on 6th. We got there about 45 minutes early on a Sunday and were the second group in line. Amazing stuff as well. I'd give Franklin's the edge for the mind-blowing brisket experience, but John Mueller may have the edge for the overall experience. It's all so dang good I don't even really like comparing.

If you get to Franklin's really early and be among the first, you can eat there and then hopefully catch Mueller before he runs out - now that's a day of good eats right there.

You sir, may very well be a genius

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I just looked up and saw you're planning on Wed., which is the one day John Mueller is closed.

IMG_2543.jpg

If you want to hit a second spot, I've heard Stiles Switch is great (I think the cook there used to cook at Louie Mueller's in Taylor).

If you have time, check out the Lockhart spots or Southside Market and/or Meyer's in Elgin. While you're there, you may as well live it up, right? We hit 8 joints in 3 days last week. It was farking beautiful. Here's a thread about it.

You're making me hungry! I won't have a lot of time. I'm on the Safety Crew for the races. Gotta be in training Thursday. Then on track early Friday-Sunday.
I'll shoot for two places on Wednesday. Or maybe just get a whole brisket from Franklin....

IMO, La BBQ is 2nd to Franklin in terms of quality. They're the best game in town for wait to food quality ratio. I got there at 10:30am and was first in line.

I think La Barbecue is owned by someone from the Mueller family and I think the pitmaster used to work at Franklin's, so it seems to me that it would be awesome. I definitely want to check it out next time I go to Austin. And after looking at cazzy's pix I may have to move that time up a little sooner. :hungry:

I think La Barbecue is owned by someone from the Mueller family and I think the pitmaster used to work at Franklin's, so it seems to me that it would be awesome. I definitely want to check it out next time I go to Austin. And after looking at cazzy's pix I may have to move that time up a little sooner. :hungry:

You are correct! LeAnn Mueller, daughter of the late and great Bobby Mueller...sister to Wayne and John. John Lewis (part owner) is the Pit Master, and he was part of the original Franklin Barbecue trailer crew. He was Aaron's right hand at both locations from 2009-2012.

What all did you get?

Back