• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Custom Vertical Offset is Getting Close...Big Daddy Bandera!!!

Here's another pit with the lip.
I emailed with him last night and he had added a deflector plate, it just wasn't on in the pics.

Also, at the suggestion from others, I am having him add an isolation plate with handles and a gasket ring that I can drop-in in place of the grill grate on the firebox for when I am not planning to grill/reverse sear to help conserve fuel.

I am off tomorrow (normal day off), so I am planning on hitting up the local butcher for some grub to throw on it after seasoning it.

Pick-up is Saturday at 2pm.

For seasoning, I plan to do the following:

1. Wipe down with wet rag to get all dust and debris out
  2. Spray down with canola oil
  3. Get a nice hot fire going with charcoal and a couple splits
  4. After a couple hours of heat, throw a couple packs of store bought bacon on the racks for extra seasoning and looking for hot spots to guide me in adjusting the tuning plates
  5. Once tuning plates are dialed in, throw on something that cooks quick for dinner

Any adjustments I need to make in that procedure?

I would use copious amounts of soap and hot water and the garden hose to rinse off, not just a wipe down.

Noted, thanks!

1. Use copious amounts of soap and hot water and the garden hose to rinse off to get all dust and debris out
  2. Spray down with canola oil
  3. Get a nice hot fire going with charcoal and a couple splits
  4. After a couple hours of heat, throw a couple packs of store bought bacon on the racks for extra seasoning and looking for hot spots to guide me in adjusting the tuning plates
  5. Once tuning plates are dialed in, throw on something that cooks quick for dinner

Have you talked to him about what his pre-seasoning procedure is? You might be wasting some effort re-seasoning depending on what he is planning on doing. What thickness metal are you using for the isolation plate?

Have you talked to him about what his pre-seasoning procedure is? You might be wasting some effort re-seasoning depending on what he is planning on doing. What thickness metal are you using for the isolation plate?
I will talk to him about that when I pick it up. I don't want him to have to type out some long procedure when he is working hard on our builds :wink: Fewer interruptions = fewer delays ;)

We didn't talk about the thickness for that plate, I just told him what I wanted and the purpose.

I only have one thing to say. That thang is too nice for a Texan. It needs to go to an Okie. :becky: :thumb:

I don't want him to have to type out some long procedure when he is working hard on our builds :wink: Fewer interruptions = fewer delays ;)

I hear that! I need yours done ASAP for my own selfish reasons of course.

I only have one thing to say. That thang is too nice for a Texan. It needs to go to an Okie. :becky: :thumb:
You might change your mind after taking a close look at the smokebox door! :wink:

Them Okies have always been jealous of our football teams and now they want our BBQ pits, is nothing sacred anymore? LOL!!!:p

Them Okies have always been jealous of our football teams and now they want our BBQ pits, is nothing sacred anymore? LOL!!!:p
:rofl:

They can't even come up with their own hand sign...I think I see more upside down horns when the Sooners are playing Baylor than when they play the Horns! :biggrin:

Saturday is ALMOST HERE!!!!

tumblr_m7fh34EcU31rzjjfeo1_250.gif

I have a habit of naming my important equipment...

My 2005 GTO is named Pepper. She's red hot and has some attitude...

7905_10103657706134460_976958518_n.jpg

So I have been thinking hard for a name for my new smoker. The name will be a bit more apparent when painted pics are posted, but I think I have decided on Earl.

1013562_514825205278863_1299968602_n.jpg

Ohhh...I love the goat dude. I'm jealous. I love the name "Pepper", as well.
Thanks! She's nearing 100k. Bought her new on May 25, 2005 and have loved every minute! She's putting down 409 hp / 390 ft-lbs to the wheels.

That thing is going to be far too sexy for a utilitarian (male) name like "Earl." I'm thinking something like "Raven."

P.S. Love the GTO. My dad and I did a lot of muscle cars and rods when I was growing up (late 30s Fords and 69-72 Buicks were our thing). I still don't think he has forgiven me for my current Hyundai obsession. Including my latest (a 2013 Genesis Coupe Track), I have owned 8 of them now. I call the Genesis "Pikey."

Attachments

• 2013-08-21 17.21.15.jpg
    2013-08-21 17.21.15.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 428
Back