• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I am up to page 228, but started gathering materials after about 115 pages and finished my UDS last night.

I found a barrel reconditioner in Detroit that old me an open head heavy duty barrel for $27, Took a bunch of notes during my studies and with a few trips to HD and Lowe's had all of the components. My lovely wife allowed me to cannibalize the 15 year old Weber we have . . err, had.

As a guy without many tools or much experience with metal, cutting the holes was pretty intimidating, but the step-bits were a godsend and much easier than I had expected.

I had to bend out the lip of the Weber lid and rehammer it to form it to the drum. I assume that is because I bought the heavier drum? The guy at the barrel place told me it was a 17h drum. It also has a 2" bung in the side, about 6 inches from the bottom. I briefly considered using a single 2" pipe intake, but ended up taking the advice of many to KISS and build the standard recipe before venturing too far afield.

My only other problem was finding a good source of a strip of expanded metal. I didn't want to have to cut it myself. I ended up using a couple of shelves from HD, chopped a bit, bent a bit and wired it together. No off smells during the seasoning burn, so hopefully it will work.

I found a good online source for custom expanded metal, and although shipping is about the same as the metal, cost, I'll likely remake the charcoal basket when a buddy and I build his.

I sealed up the intakes and lid seal with Hi-temp RTV, and everything went smoothly. Seasoned for about 5.5 hours last night and am ready to throw a couple of butts on tomorrow! I had some fun letting out my iner geek during the seasoning run, learning how the smoker reacted to changes, lip removals, etc. I probably need help:

Wish me luck!

So many thanks to all of you who have created this thread to help those of us coming along behind. I first saw a drum at Bubba's rib burn, and have been toying with the idea of building one for a couple of years. This thread finally got me to do it!

Rock

Like the graph........

You are showing signs of true geekery. Lovin' it! Waiting for pics of the final product!

Hey All! this is my first post in the UDS forum.
Started my build a few weeks ago and finally found all the key ingredients for my UDS. I found a drum from a plating shop near by. Its a re-conditioned drum never been used. I then scoured craigslist for an old gasser someone was unloading for FREE! score! I ordered a big poppa smokers UDS enhanced kit. Shout out to Big Poppa! .... and this is what I have so far. I should receive the kit next week and then the fun begins!
sazk.jpg
mz3s.jpg
kzni.jpg

Hi everyone. i'm doing my first UDS build this weekend. i bought a new unlined drum. i have a friend who owns a Sandblasting shop so i am going to have him blast the inside and outside of the drum, as well as sandblast an old weber lid while he's at it. My question has to do with the "rust inhibitor" that is sprayed on the inside of the drum(not a lining, just what is sprayed on the inside to prevent rust....still looks like bare metal). if i have the inside and outside sandblasted do i still need to do a burnout or will the sandblasting itself take care of the rust inhibitor? I would think the sandblasting should take care of it but was just looking for some reassurance. Thanks in advance.

T

IMHO Burn it..... why take a chance of what is left on the inside of the barrel plus burning it is half the fun of the project.....

Jim

hey spaceman,there is a reason for this super sizes UDS thread. I suggest you start reading from page one through the last page and take L O T s of notes. You will even find posts why NOT to sandblast Weber lids. If you want to PM me with your phone # we can talk about it.

Just started my third smoke of the week on my first UDS, we like smoke!

Trying a couple of 6.25 pound chickens and another fatty, I keep cooking these fatties I'm going to be a fatty.......:-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Jim
IMHO Burn it..... why take a chance of what is left on the inside of the barrel plus burning it is half the fun of the project.....

Jim

Burn it. Don't take chances.

hey spaceman,there is a reason for this super sizes UDS thread. I suggest you start reading from page one through the last page and take L O T s of notes. You will even find posts why NOT to sandblast Weber lids. If you want to PM me with your phone # we can talk about it.

I do believe this was ment for tgstrang and not spaceman

So my stainless UDS is almost done. I've been called the name for years so I've decided to embrace it. The blank space is for "bbq"

So how's she look?

null_zpsa37a8c02.jpg

Spaceman, I like the re-purposing of the gasser cart, are you still going to use the burner? If so where are you going to put the tank?
Pitboss...yes i do want to utilize the burner and that is one on my issues...how to mount the tank and be a "safe" distance from the drum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on any part of the rig! :-D

Thanks Jim!!! my wife has yelled at me several times to stop staring at it. I have to say that I love this thing!!! I don't think it has fully cooled down since it's initial fire and IMO the thing looks badarse!!! I think I'm going to need more charcoal :)

Back