• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The new (again) revised pork rule for 2014

Is the new revised pork rule good for BBQ?

• Yes!

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • No!

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Pork is now a grilling contest

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Nothing changes for me

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Farker!

Votes: 8 6.8%

• Total voters
Really Jeff? Maybe you could just get it right and be done with it?

I'm not on the rules committee, but I'll give it a shot...

What's wrong with requiring you start out with a 5 lb. minimum piece of pork shoulder, butt, or picnic, and cook it whole, and then allow it to be returned to the cooker after it's parted?

Seriously....how hard is that?

Maybe third time is a charm?

Just to let you know.... This is how me and Todd decide to nominate people for the BOD. I'll work on a slogan . Mike in 2014!!!!

Why do we need a weight limit on pork? Give me one good reason. If you can, maybe we better add weight to all four categories. If so, lets make brisket at about 14 pounds (no separating point and flat!); maybe chicken whole at 3 pounds (no pieces); Ribs? No St Louis spares - full slabs and at least five pounds only!
There is no current requirement that the 3 meats other than pork be cooked whole, therefore there is no need for a weight requirement.

By requiring pork to be cooked whole, AFTER trimming, you need a minimum weight requirement in order to define how much can be reasonably trimmed. Without the minimum weight requirement, you potentially remove the "BBQ" aspect from the category.

The Rules committee, and the Board as a whole, approved a 5 lb. weight minimum in February, so I'm curious why there was a change in direction only 5 months later?

Don't worry about what the guy next door is doing. Do your best and have fun doing it.

Jeez! Quit whining! We get to BBQ! A lot! Enjoy it and quit looking for reasons to be pissed off.

I think this will be my new go-to response to every cockamamie thing I read/hear/see. Until I get screwed by a bunch of bad tables, that is.

OK that last sentence was a joke.

I think this will be my new go-to response to every cockamamie thing I read/hear/see. Until I get screwed by a bunch of bad tables, that is.

OK that last sentence was a joke.

or was it????????:behindsofa:

There is no current requirement that the 3 meats other than pork be cooked whole, therefore there is no need for a weight requirement.

By requiring pork to be cooked whole, AFTER trimming, you need a minimum weight requirement in order to define how much can be reasonably trimmed. Without the minimum weight requirement, you potentially remove the "BBQ" aspect from the category.

The Rules committee, and the Board as a whole, approved a 5 lb. weight minimum in February, so I'm curious why there was a change in direction only 5 months later?

Same could be said about the other categories but it's not and no one is trying to quickly cook slices of brisket or individual rib bones.

Why the change five months later? Because people bitched then and didn't like it so we took suggestions and made changes to fine tune it. What I've learned is that it really doesn't matter what the rules say, that there will ALWAYS be people who are pissed off about it so we're better off just DOING THE BEST JOB WE CAN DO and let everything work out from there. And when my turn on the board is over, I'll let someone else try.

Same could be said about the other categories but it's not and no one is trying to quickly cook slices of brisket or individual rib bones.

Why the change five months later? Because people bitched then and didn't like it so we took suggestions and made changes to fine tune it. What I've learned is that it really doesn't matter what the rules say, that there will ALWAYS be people who are pissed off about it so we're better off just DOING THE BEST JOB WE CAN DO and let everything work out from there. And when my turn on the board is over, I'll let someone else try.
How can the same be said for the other categories when pork is the only category that has the requirement that it be cooked whole?

A lot of history and AH's looking for loop holes went into the pork rule that currently exists. The simplest approach would be the defination and add must be cooked whole and untrimmed until an internal FDA serve safe temperature of 145 degree F. After it reaches this temperature you may do as you wish with the meat, to include parting, slicing, chopping, returning to the smoker, putting it in a cooler, etc. Once removed from the smoker the meat or parts of meat must be maintained at an FDA serve safe temperatue of 140 degrees or more prior to turn-in.

How can the same be said for the other categories when pork is the only category that has the requirement that it be cooked whole?

Precisely! And no one is cooking pre-sliced brisket, individual ribs (best from each slab) or what have you. So why do you think people are going to cook little pieces of butt and if they do, why does it matter? That's probably the best question right there - why does it matter? If it's a part of a butt, does it really matter how small they trim it?

Precisely! And no one is cooking pre-sliced brisket, individual ribs (best from each slab) or what have you. So why do you think people are going to cook little pieces of butt and if they do, why does it matter? That's probably the best question right there - why does it matter? If it's a part of a butt, does it really matter how small they trim it?

As long as every one knows the rules... I think you are doing a good job Jeff.

I'll vote for you again bro.

OK. Seeing the can or worms is open.... we can do boneless chicken, butt and brisket... Change the stupid rule that ribs have to have bones!!! With your analogy, let's change that rule as well.....

Bingo. To preserve and teach. Not roll over cause some folks can't serve warm pulled pork.

I for one appreciate Jeff for coming on here and addressing us. He could hide behind the computer, but he doesn't. Whether we agree on the rule or not. I respect what he does. So thank you Jeff.

It seems that the multiple manipulations of the pork rule was likely considered/started by a scenario such as this: A team is cooking their normal 8-10lb butt, they want to slice the MM but if they take the butt to, say, 195f the MM shreds when trying to slice it. If they temp the MM at 195f and pull the whole butt from the cooker the rest of the butts texture is not where they want it. Cake and eat it and whatnot.

Is it to facilitate (legalize) the MM to now be treated like a burnt end(s)? Or facilitate removal of the MM at a certain “sliceable" temp and return the rest of the butt to cooker to hit its target temp? Likely.

I don't know. What I do know is I hate the term Money Muscle now more than ever.

Back