MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #436
Badgerbrent
Got rid of the matchlight.

What size pizza pan do you use for the heat deflector?
Badgerbrent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #437
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbrent View Post
What size pizza pan do you use for the heat deflector?
I'm using a 16" pizza pan from walmart... $4.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #438
zwylde1
Take a breath!

I am using a 16 inch clay saucer. So far so good. Just line it with tinfoil for easy cleanup.

[FONT=Arial Black]Of everything I have lost in this life...I miss my mind the most![/FONT]
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #439
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

Got this for my birthday!
My wife informed mr that all the 5 lowes were sold out & she got this at Kroger. Same price only cosmetic differences.
LostArrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #440
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Congratulations I like the wood shelves but mine has the metal ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostArrow View Post
Got this for my birthday!
My wife informed mr that all the 5 lowes were sold out & she got this at Kroger. Same price only cosmetic differences.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #441
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats, but things look a little off. Body should be rotated 1/3 to the left, top vent turned 180.

Sorry, my OCD showing through. Nice cooker!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #442
jon s
Knows what a fatty is.

While obviously a good value, my concern is that the inner "firebox" does not look sturdy enough to survive a few years of 700 degree temp cooking. I think corrosion and possibly rust may creep in from use. Just my two cents.
jon s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #443
DougRuss
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmcedar View Post
Congrats, but things look a little off. Body should be rotated 1/3 to the left, top vent turned 180.

Sorry, my OCD showing through. Nice cooker!
True !! The Body needs to be repositioned, you'll have a difficult time moving it!

DougRuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #444
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

Yep, it came assembled from Kroger.
I think I would have liked the lowes model a little better, but this was the only one my wife could find.
It will be pretty easy to fix, but I'll wait to the weekend.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #445
DodgeCity
Found some matches.

A few years at 700 degrees. Who the heck cooks at 700 degrees on a regular basis. Man if you don't like the grill just say so, don't go making up scenarios that don't exist...... And btw I love my Akorn and my UDS and I am not worried about prolonged cooking at 700 degrees.
DodgeCity is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #446
pike3e
Got rid of the matchlight.

Mine arived from lowes, assembled (not requested but free) yesterday. I cleaned and seasoned the grate and fired it up. I left the vents fully open and got distracted by the family for about 30 minutes. Returned to the grill and the thermometer was maxed out at past 700. I closed the vents on the inferno and the coals died out quickly! Temps just kept falling throughout the evening and that was it. Cooked a beer can chicken today at 350-400 for 1.25 hours and it came out great. Closed the vents after the cook and the coals went out quickly. I am new to this but am very impressed.
pike3e is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #447
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

Pulled my dome thermometer & checked against instant read thermometer in boiling water, it's right on up to 210F should be accurate enough for smoking.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #448
miso_ohio
Found some matches.

Reading these reviews have me tempted, I know I saw one of these in a Lowes just a few weeks ago. I currently own a Bubba Keg that I got cheap during the Home Depot fire sale a few years ago. After using it for a few years I would not even bat an eye at paying a whole lot more for it now, it is my favorite thing in the world to cook on.

I know I really don't need it, I am still tempted to get one anyways, I just don't know where I am going to put it. To those on the fence, these kamado style cookers will amaze you. I was unsure at first as well now I basically give a cooking course anywhere I go with it preaching the greatness of it.

By the way on the pizza, not sure if you can do this on this or not, but on the Keg, I kick the heat up to 650-750 area with no diffuser. I put the cast iron grate down to the lower level (not sure if this one has 2 levels) and I put a pizza stone on that metal rack you use as a second layer. The metal racks holds it up just fine ad it makes it easy to slide the pizza out on the stone, a typical pizza is done in 2-4 minutes for me I watch it through the vents on the top. I make my own dough and stretch it thin. I got a new Pizza peel for Xmas that has made the whole process even better. The pizzas on these things our second to none, the crust is just hard to describe.
miso_ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #449
unfoundfred
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've been debating buying a BGE, but I couldn't find a way to justify the expense to my wife. I think I just found my compromise...

Lowe's here I come!
unfoundfred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #450
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Now I just had to go and read this thread.........(what was I thinking).

I have a used up Arkla gas grill (16 yrs old) and a cheap Stok charcoal grill tower, and a UDS that I just built. Need to pitch the gas grill. Maybe I should sell the STok charcoal tower and get one of these......hmmm. I was about to spend $800+ on a CS electric smoker......and I saved all that money by building an UDS.......so that's worth something right? <smile> Biggest reason I would like one of these is to sear steaks. I've never been able to get the Stok hot enough to sear a steak so the outside is done and the inside still medium-rare.

Since I'm a Razorback fan (though an embarrased one at the moment with the Petrino/Harley incident), I really like the red version from Menards. Too bad they don't have a Menards around NW AR........
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado